Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched a program the other day, a car program. They travelled to the USA, bought a car and had some competitions with them. At the end up it they finished up in Louisiana with the aim of selling the cars and the one who made the biggest profit won. Well at the time of recording it was only a year later from Katrina and they didn't realise things would be so bad still so they decided to give the cars away. They found a Christian charity and 2 families who needed the cars (the 3rd car was no good to even give away). Anyway, long story short they told the charity the wrong year of one of the cars, they said it was 1991 when it was 1989. A lawyer appeared and informed them of this and that unless they paid compensation for the wrong information they will be suing them. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

As it happened they didn't get sued because a gang appeared and told them that where they were was their street and they better get off it, so they left. But is this "charity" for real? Is it that bad?

·
Banned
439 Posts
using the Threat of a Lawsuit is more common in USA than most places probably because of all the TV shows and Movies portraying the legal process as being quick cheap easy with the little guy always winning, and collecting on their judgment. it's sort of like a modern version of the Wild West Cowboy Movie, where people solved their differences at the end of a shot gun. of course, nothing on TV could be further from the truth.

In the real world "People Always Hate Lawyers Until They Need One" is more appropriate, and most lawsuits are never pursued after the first continuance hits, and claimants sober up about the cost and time required to pursue what may ultimately be fruitless. no charity would actually sue as the legal costs and chance of collecting the remedy is slim to none. but everyone loves to swagger into a situation and threaten a lawsuit. at least it's safer then people trying to get even by pulling a gun on you :wink:

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
Id say yes it is that bad in the US. My banker told me shes never seen such dishonesty leveled even towards the most honest people who were not at any fault but people were looking to get away with not paying by being unreasonable and starting lawsuits.

Im not sure when decency and honesty left in the US. The tv new is full of greed being uncovered. Not the way I was raised in the Midwest. But that was back in the dark ages! Your word meant something. As well as your work ethic. Boy, I sound like a grouchy old person. :lol:

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Zalensia said:
I watched a program the other day, a car program. They travelled to the USA, bought a car and had some competitions with them. At the end up it they finished up in Louisiana with the aim of selling the cars and the one who made the biggest profit won. Well at the time of recording it was only a year later from Katrina and they didn't realise things would be so bad still so they decided to give the cars away. They found a Christian charity and 2 families who needed the cars (the 3rd car was no good to even give away). Anyway, long story short they told the charity the wrong year of one of the cars, they said it was 1991 when it was 1989. A lawyer appeared and informed them of this and that unless they paid compensation for the wrong information they will be suing them. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

As it happened they didn't get sued because a gang appeared and told them that where they were was their street and they better get off it, so they left. But is this "charity" for real? Is it that bad?
hahahahaha

Bloomin brilliant episode though.

The redneck nutters were a bit scary though!

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Huge said:
hahahahaha

Bloomin brilliant episode though.

The redneck nutters were a bit scary though!
You're right, I was on the edge of my seat for them! Awsome episode!

I'll check out that website, I remember hearing about the McDonalds one before. It is such a shame people are out there to at least try it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I wasted several minutes reading this silly thread, and will consequently sue this web site for my lost time. :yellbounce

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
Huge the redneck nutters, as you call them, :lol: are alive and well in this country! But were a free country sooo.. whatja gona do! They ususally settle disputes with a gun though and carry their guns around, in the window gun rack, of their pickup truck.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
That's exactly it. It's NOT a free country if people like that are trying to stop things they don't like.
The presenters weren't doing a THING that could possibly enrage anyone who wasn't a blithering idiot. One of them had NASCAR inhales written on his car, another said "Hilary for president (it was well before the nominations), and the other one said on it "gay lover". None of those things are offensive to smart people.

It really really gets up my nose when I see the sorts of people who object to all sorts of normal behaviours and then try and claim they're for "freedom".

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hey whats wrong with a gun rack????? They save room for more stuff in the back seat!!! Here's the wonders of being able to have a gun and knowing how to use it.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Well, I think gun racks are unattractive and often pointless, given that I rarely see them in use. Kinda like people using a large pickup or SUV as commuter vehicles. It's silly.

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
Using guns or the threat of them to win verbal battles? Who are the bad guys then? I won't have even a toy gun in my house. Violence begets violence.

Merry, I'm not referring to your post. I just don't understand people who carry guns. :(

·
Registered
981 Posts
I carry for protection because I refuse to be a victim. Lots of people carry for protection.

Down south you always see pickups and larger vehicals. Its the culture here. I have a small car but I have already found out that with my job my next vehical will have to be a small truck so that I can get down some of the ranch roads without bottoming out my car....

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I have never been a victim, and I have never even touched a gun in my life.

Some of us refuse to be victims without carrying weapons.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
Please stay on topic, this thread is not about the use of guns.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
The suing culture is actually quite pathetic.

There are obvious times when it's necessary, but a lot of the times it's the person who didn't look where they were going/read the sign/or were just dumb.

Recently there was a thing on the news abous some kid who nearly drowned when jumping into a weir. He tried to sue because he said there weren't enough warning signs. There were two. One on each side of the river where the weir was.

The judge made the very fair point that if the kid (who, from memory was about 14) had attended school instead of bunking off to go swimming in weirs, then maybe he'd have learnt to read. Needless to say he kicked out the case.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
doodlebug said:
Please stay on topic, this thread is not about the use of guns.
I guess i didnt make my points clear. Huge had made me chuckle when reading the term "rednecks nutters" protrayed in the show. . My unclear point is yes, there are alot of rednecks in this country but they dont sue. They settle disputes with their guns!

Your free to be an idiot redneck. Free to carry a gun. But it is illegal to settle disputes with guns ~ which they do. I dont know which is worse. those who wave a gun in your face threatening you or those who start lawsuits that waste time in our court system time, tie people up in unnecessary litigation. In any legal dispute the only winner is the lawyers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts