Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my cats has to have dried boogers picked from his nostrils every 2-3 days; Herbie. This has never happened to George. The weird thing is is that they don't even look like snot. They're black, like dirt (and he hasn't been outside all winter).

Anyway, is this an indication of chronic sinusitis or something? He never acts sick and doesn't have a sneeze or anything. What should I do?

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
One of my cats gets that too and it's always BLACK! I don't think it's a big deal because a lot of cats seem to get eye crusties fairly often too. Just an overabundance of mucus, I would say.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
My guess is that there is naturally a little moisture or even a little discharge from the nose, and it's dust or some other grime that makes it black. Given that the always have their noses stuck in out-of-the-way corners, it would not be surprising!

One of my cats gets this periodically. He does have chronic herpes conjunctivities but even when this is under control, he still gets black "boogies." Doesn't bother him at all! Personally I get kinda grossed out picking them off, but he doesn't mind. :)

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Only my cat Twinkie gets these dark boogies around his nose but it sits on top of his nose and he headbutts us all the time. Its flat on his nose so its not like crusty's which I can pick off, its wet and I guess dried flat to his nose...I tried cleaning it off one time and he went crazy and plus somedays its there, other days his nose is really clean. He's always sticking his nose near Sugars butt so that and he is always smelling something.....those 2 factors cause his nose to be a bit dark hehe :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts