Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now Cheetah and Panther are 15 months, and Mui Mui is 3.5 months. Cheetah and Panther were cagemates when they were in the shelter. They have been getting along, sharing condos (even the top level), food and everything. They do have different personalities, Panther is a big easily scared cat.

I do hope they stay the same, respect each others, love each others, like brothers. Is it possible? Or one of them will be the dominant cat somehow?

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
In my experience in a multi-cat household it was always a female who was alpha, and usually it was a tortie or torbie. The males had to toe the line. So when Miu Miu grows up (she's female I think?), don't be surprised if she ends up being the boss.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
There is always a pecking order in every feral colony or group of cats in a home. My tuxedo male is the alpha to all the foster cats that have come thru my home.

It is wise to step back and let the cat be the alpha. They keep order and enforce cat laws and show benevolence also to the other cats.

Mittens, my male tuxedo with my foster screamin' mimi.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
They will form a hierarchy, but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't still be bonded or won't get along. So, I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Just enjoy them as they are today.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I think that Satin will end up being boss in my household - Tuffy was an only cat til she came along but already if she wants a certain spot to sleep and there is not room for two - SHE gets it in the end.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Apollo and Athena get along very well, but Apollo definitely considers himself the Alpha. He was there first, he's older, he's bigger. Thankfully the way he behaves is less territorial and more parently. He keeps Athena in line, so to speak. Keeps an eye on her, cleans her, he even tidies up the litterbox after her! I guess he finds her quick litter covering unsatisfactory.

He does beat her up in a playful fashion, but despite acting "in charge" it's never been a hostile thing between them.

And occasionally she does manage to get the upper hand and tries to "challenge" him sometimes. ;)

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I'm still not sure who is boss in my house, yet. At times, I think it's Egypt. She is the most aggressive, but when Azalia and her tussle, I don't know. Also, the window perch is for Azalia and Azalia only. The other 2 cats hang out together, but they don't really mess with Azalia. However, at times, Azalia grooms the other cats and is very nurturing. Lacey also manages to steal food from Azalia so I don't think it's Azalia...oh heck, I dunno *shrugz*

I was trying to find a good article on cat behavior that might shed some light on who is who in the pecking order so if anyone has any good ones, please let me know...I'd love to unravel this mystery.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Sometimes, I think Teddy is the Alpha, other times, I think Leo is.

For example, if Teddy and Leo want the same sleeping spot, Teddy usually gets it, that or he sleeps on top of Leo which usually makes leo move anyway.

But if Leo wants Teddy's food, Teddy usually backs down (I generally have to stand there and chase Mr. Pudgy Piggy away).

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I was trying to find a good article on cat behavior that might shed some light on who is who in the pecking order so if anyone has any good ones, please let me know...I'd love to unravel this mystery.
The articles below are not bad, although I liked the book "Cat vs. Cat" by Pam Johnson-Bennett, which had a lot of good information on multi-cat behavior. Based on your description of your cats, Azalia sounds like the most likely top-cat!

Know Your Cat - Top Cat: The Feline Hierarchy in multicat households.

The Hierarchic System Among Cats

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Apollo and Athena get along very well, but Apollo definitely considers himself the Alpha. He was there first, he's older, he's bigger. Thankfully the way he behaves is less territorial and more parently. He keeps Athena in line, so to speak. Keeps an eye on her, cleans her, he even tidies up the litterbox after her! I guess he finds her quick litter covering unsatisfactory.

He does beat her up in a playful fashion, but despite acting "in charge" it's never been a hostile thing between them.

And occasionally she does manage to get the upper hand and tries to "challenge" him sometimes. ;)
I think both of your cats are less than a year old, so their territorial instincts aren't yet fully developed. That will happen at or around 2 years of age when they reach social maturity. So, you have something to look forward to! :)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I think both of your cats are less than a year old, so their territorial instincts aren't yet fully developed. That will happen at or around 2 years of age when they reach social maturity. So, you have something to look forward to! :)
Uh oh! That will be an interesting moment. :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It will be interesting to see what happens when Cheetah and Panther reach 2 and Mui Mui will be still 1. Right now Panther eats first, even they have separate dishes. But in some cases, if Cheetah got to the food first, Panther will wait. And sometimes, if they are both hungry, they will eat together at their own dish.

Panther will always gets the treats first, just because he loves his treats. But Cheetah is always on the top level of the condo.

Interesting cats!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Interesting question.

Elvis is thirteen years old (just about) and sir is just over five months. Elvis talks a lot, but when it comes down to it, I'm pretty sure Sir is going to be the alpha before she's even a year old. Elvis is definitely a push over (when it comes to female cats) and gets pushed around by Sir ample amounts even now. It's just play right now, but I'll have to keep an eye on them both to see what develops.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
In my experience, anytime you add a new cat to an established pair, there will be a power shift. I've seen it over and over again. With my crew, Mocha was boss. When she passed, Thurston took over. When I got Sully, he waltzed in and took over on day way at 4 months of age. He was top of the heap until Ninja, who also waltzed in and took over first day and hasn't looked back!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Just to add, Kobie was the quintessential Omega cat. He just sat back and let everyone else make the rules. He was so laid back and easy going which was great because he got along with everyone. But towards the end there he was bullied a lot and I felt bad for him.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nutmeg is the dominant, though I feel she is mean to Sinatra sometimes :(. I would just enjoy your babes how they are now.
I SO want they to stay like this forever. I hope Cheetah and Panther will be like brothers, love each other, share food and toys. I hope they will treat Mui Mui as little sister and love her and spoil her.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
The hierarchy in my house is all messed up. Scottie seems to be dominant over Orlando and Tweezer but Juno is over Scottie and under Tweezer. Charlie just stays out of it and loves all the others.

When Tucker was alive he was head of the cat household and he ran a peaceful ship. When Tucker died suddenly everything was in chaos for a while.

As Gabriel matures I think he will eventually take over the dominant role.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.