Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not that practical for me to get a second cat but I can't help dwelling on the possibility when I see how bored Genie seems for much of the day. As I've posted before she's quite bored of playing with us but still demands it constantly. She's still got a very playful attitude, rolling over, purring, trilling and rabbit kicking gently soon after being petted. She hasn't had any other cat contact at least since she was about 6 months old. Is there any true way of telling whether a cat's personality is suited to a friend. I guess if I got another kitty it would be for her more than me (although I'd be happy to have another).

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
You should only get another kitty if YOU want one, because there's always a chance that they won't become buddies. Some cats are very happy having their person all to themself. Cinderella was much happier before I brought other cats into the home, and our relationship changed afterwards.

Especially because it's not practical now, I would hold off. Besides, cats sleep most of the day. I know they sometimes have that sad meow or look when we leave for work. It's to guilt you into buying treats and presents on your way home. :grin:

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I agree with Marie. You should only get a second cat if you want another.

That said, if you would like another perhaps the easiest way to "test" how Genie would be with another cat would be to foster a cat. If, after the foster were adopted, you saw that Genie adapted well to having another cat around, then you could either continue to foster or adopt a second cat yourself (or both!).

·
Registered
469 Posts
I agree with Susan's suggestion of fostering. A good foster program will do a home visit and will have a program established to help you when introducing the foster into the rest of your home and with your kitty. At the home visit they should set up a battle plan on how to best implement their program into your home. By doing this you can also see if Genie responds well to adults, kittens, or both.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I agree that you should get a second cat if you want one. You didn't elaborate what is "not that practical"....finances, space, rent restrictions? but you should wait until you are sure. Calicos can be tricky sometimes. They tend to be very independent, often stubborn and bossy to other cats or even hostile to the point to want to be the only cat in a home. You don't say how old your girl is, but usually calicos are more accepting of young kittens. The idea of fostering is an excellent one to test how she would react to another kitty or cat.

As far as Genie's "boredom", you could switch Genie's toys around, every week or so, with new ones (and put the old ones away). "Da-Bird" is a good interactive toy if you don't have one. Even cardboard boxes, and paper bags fascinate, so it doesn't always have to be store bought.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your advice!
I do want another cat (or lots!) but it's not practical for financial reasons right now. Possible but not ideal.
Fostering sounds like a great idea for discovering if Genie would be happy living with another cat - I might look into it soon.

catloverami - it's true that Genie is very stubborn and independent, but I thought calicos were just a colour, not a breed. Do you know why they are reputed to have this personality trait?

·
Registered
39 Posts
There was an article in Cat Fancy about colors and personalities... they do tend to have a link. Stitch is my second orange cat and had to agree with the article when it said orange cats (they're usually male) are quite dog like and laid back. They've also got a little crazy on the side. If you google it I think theres a website that goes over the same stuff.. kindof interesting really.

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
My calicos are very loving and were very accepting of Gigi right away.

Gigi is the problem, not the twins.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts