Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I couldn't really get a definitive answer online searching
So I figured I'd go to the best source

Has anyone ever overcome a cat allergy here and been able to own a cat without itching Etc

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
26,625 Posts

·
Registered
Remus 8 Months old :)
4 Posts
I'm relatively allergic to cats and I just got my fur baby last week and I haven't had any problems unless I pet him and directly touch my eyes. I have been dry swiffering my hardwood floors daily and am going to vacuum my upstairs carpet every weekend. I have found several products that help reduce allergy symptoms such as sprays for your carpet, I bought the one called Allersearch ADMS anti allergen spray. High quality air purifiers are also a great help :) There is also a product called Allerpet, you put it directly on their fur to reduce dander. I also take a zyrtec and flonase daily and have antihistamine eye drops in case I accidentally touch my eyes :) And last I tried my best to find a Russian blue cat because they are supposed to be better for people sensitive to allergies. I plan to wash all his blankets and bedding every weekend. It honestly comes down to routine and cleaning/dusting your house frequently to avoid build up of dander. Hope this information helps!! :)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
When I still had cat allergy, I put a screen door on my bedroom so the cat could not come in and sleep on my bed/pillow/face, but I could still have my door "open". In other situations, I could just wash my hands.

I don't know why my allergy disappeared. Different cat (just a cat, no breed), or maybe hormal changes in myself?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone I couldn't really get a definitive answer online searching
So I figured I'd go to the best source

Has anyone ever overcome a cat allergy here and been able to own a cat without itching Etc

Thanks
I've been allergic since I was 7. Could only pet cats for a minute or two before having to go wash my hands, otherwise I would start sneezing, get hives and eyes would go crazy. Nevermind picking a cat up or laying next to one, I would die. Nevertheless I did it and suffered for it all along. It's been almost 30 years.

I finally bit the bullet this fall and decided to go for allergy shots because my seasonal allergies were becoming unmanageable. I am seeing improvements, I can now pet my cat without starting a sneezing fit. I've been taking shots for 2 months now but I've been going twice a week. Eventually in around a month it will go to once a week for a month then once a month for like 3 years.

It is a commitment but if it does work for me it will be worth it. You have to decide if you're willing to take the chance, the time and the effort to see if it works for you if you want some potential results that last a decade.

They dont work for everyone (I think 25% ish don't respond), and if they do the duration varies anywhere from a couple of years up to 20 years (I think the average is 10-12 years). It's a gamble really.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I work at 2 veterinary hospitals and a few of my co-workers are highly allergic to cats but own them. They told me about this formula and they say it really works:

“The oral tranquilizer Acepromazine can be given at ultra-low doses in the cat’s food and provides relief for a great many allergy sufferers. While a single small study on the use of Acepromazine did not find statistically significant results, in practice, about 50% of people report a complete cessation of symptoms, 25% report that symptoms are improved, and 25% report no change. It takes 2-4 weeks to see results.
However, the formula is simple, inexpensive, and easy to try. The medication changes the chemical composition of the cat’s saliva, reducing the amount of allergenic protein secreted. It must be given every day to maintain the effect. Because the dose is so tiny, it has no effect on the cat’s behavior and can be given for life. You can give the recipe for “Ace Allergy Drops” to your vet: To a one-ounce dropper bottle containing 30 ml spring water, add 5 mg Acepromazine (1/2 ml of injectable 10 mg/ml, or one 5 mg tablet crushed, or half of a 10 mg tablet crushed). Instructions: Shake well before using. For an adult cat, add 5-6 drops of mixture to cat’s wet food daily. For smaller kittens, use 1-2 drops. Because there is no preservative, store the bottle in the refrigerator.”

1 - 7 of 7 Posts