Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been pretty busy lately but the piece of news where hurricane Isabel is coming this way made me raise my eyebrow. I have lived in the United States for three years now (I am originally from Romania) and I have never experienced a hurricane,twister or anything like this. I am currently living in North Carolina and Isabel 'may be' heading this way. Is anybody else in its path? How do you, guys prepare for things like this and how serious is it? And one other important question - are the animals outside able to find shelter and protect themsleves. There are a bunch of cute little ferals out here living in a barn and I would like to know if they will be alright. Looking forward to your stories now :!:

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Ioana, I live inland and have only been on the outskirts of a hurricane when I spent a summer in Atlantic City as a teenager. I will leave it up to those with experience to tell you how to prepare. I know that there are powerful storms with high seas and extremely strong winds. You might be told to evacuate. If you are, don't hesitate to do so! My prayers are with you and all who might be in its path.

Hurricanes can be unpredictable. They might be heading straight for an area and veer out to sea unexpectedly, so that might be the case this time. Let's hope so.

Here are a couple of links that should help:

http://www.af.mil/news/Jul2001/n20010723_0995.shtml

http://www.enr.state.nc.us/newsrels/hurr01.htm

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Jeanie, you are so prompt with clues and to the point as always!
I am trying to read a little bit at a time - as much as my time allows me to. The people around here have also shared their experiences with me. I am worried to the extent where my dear ones could get hurt, and frankly anybody else.
One of the things that are concerning are if the little feral kitties will be alright in the barns out here. There are up to eight of them , ages ranges 6 weeks to 2 months old and their mothers + some adults. There are some outside dogs here also so I guess we will have to put them in the garage.
On the other hand it is still to the point where it can't be predicted where it will hit the mainland and it may not be here but somewhere else. I hope everything will turn out all right for everybody

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I know, I am just hoping they have really strong instincts and seek shelter before it gets too serious, if the case. They are sooo cute! There is a little red one that has a round chunky face ! It looks like a teddy bear...fuzzy ! All of them are adorable. I saw 2 up to 3 cats that I call "Frosty's cousins" because they look just like him! I went and fed them the other night and I hid outside the barn and then I came out slowly to take a closer look at them ...I wished I could adopt some more! But Frosty and Little Mo involontarily made a whole in my budget ..I really wasn't ready for a pet ...but since he/they showed up to me ..you know the rest - and I am very happy with my decision
As for the storm it doesn't look like it is heading this way now

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I'm so glad the storm is not going to hit you! Perhaps an organization will offer a special spay/neuter program at a reduced price. This happens on occasion, and you'll be able to get a humane trap from the Humane Society and take care of one or two. I hope so. Have you ever visited Alley Cat Allies? They have good information.

http://www.alleycat.org/

Here's another link:

http://www.savesamoa.org/html/spay_neuter.html

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Dear ioana,

Where in NC are you? Keep your eyes on the weather channel (www.weather.com) for your best information regarding the storm and preparedness. (I am a weather dork hehe, I have been watching Isabel since it developed and it is a BEAUTIFUL hurricane but very dangerous - still a catagory 4 which means winds up to 150mph). Cats are smart and since they are little, they can cram themselves into smaller places where they'll be safe. Unless it is REALLY bad, I think they will be fine.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Tanyuh and Jeanie,
I live in Raleigh, NC and I am watching the hurricane up close. Thank you for your concern. As for the kitties I just needed to hear at least one more time how smart they (are about survival in this case)!
I am a little worried about the hurricane but not much. I don't like to panic. We started preparing just in case it will continue on this path.
You are right, Tanyuh, it is a beautiful hurricane but yet so dangerous. We update the wallpaper on the living room computer with the most recent image off the weatherchannel
Jeanie - I try to read everyday from the links you gave me (thank you!). Pretty soon I will be contacting somebody about trying to help them and maybe put them for adoption. It is just that I fear nobody will want to spay and neuter about 20 cats for one household (they roam around this area). They are soo beautiful (aren't all kitties, though!) and want them to have better lives.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
You're right, Ioana, it will take an organization to take care of all of them. However, there are organizations that will take care of colonies of ferals. That''s why I gave you the links. I'm hoping they will keep you updated if something comes up in your area.

I'm glad you're keeping track of Isabel (that's the name of my cousin in Scotland!). Often, people who are used to hurricane warnings don't pay enough attention, and won't leave when advised to. That's one of the main reasons for fatalities. My prayers are with you and all of those who might be in her path. Sometimes nature has to humble us, I guess. Humankind has nothing powerful enough to break up a hurricane.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Jeanie for keeping us in your prayers and thoughts. There is a latin proverb (I can't remember the latin version of it) and it says that a man that is advised is as valuable as two people put together. That's why knowledge is power. Not power to conquer and be superior(in my opinion) but as in being able to face difficult situations like this one for example.
As for the kitties I will be doing my best to make them happy! I am reading every day a little bit to find out more.
ps Let me assume that your cousin Isabel is not as feared as this hurricane :twisted:

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I think we can trust cousin Isabel, but I don't know about her namesake! I'm sure veterans of past hurricanes would suggest you have wood handy to board up the windows, emergency medical kit, water, food, batteries and portable radio and the essentials for a few days, in case she causes some problems. I hope they're not necessary.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have everything we need in case of an emergency. We are going today to the store and stock up on food. I just hope that it will turn for one last time till tomorrow and go back in the Atlantic, wishful wish! Some people actually wish for it to come so they wouldn't have to go to work!?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Oh, that's logical!! "I hope the hurricane comes and destroys my house so that I don't have to go to work"!?!? These are the kinds of people that don't listen to the evacuation warnings and get killed. I have great respect for the weather forecasters (I want to be one someday) and they are EXPERTS for a reason, and so I find it hard to feel sorry for people who choose not to listen to them. You should be thinking of a place to go if you are called to evacuate ioana!! I hope you are safe!

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I checked the weather channel about 1/2 hour ago. It looks as if she's weakening slightly, but right now she's still heading N.West. If she continues as she is, N. Carolina will get the worst of it, but the after effects willl be heavy rains and winds even here--in all of PA. The storm will calm down considerably as it moves over land.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what I don't understand is the fact that they would take pleasure in not going to work (even if they were safe) when other other beings will be still out there helpless! I think this kind of thinking is caused because they are either ignorants, irresponsible or both.
Thank you for the advice, Tanyuh - I will do the best I can to be safe and I hope everybody else will also.
One day you will be also our consultant on weather issues here on the catforum :) !

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for the up-date , Jeanie. I know I am idealistic but I strongly hope for nobody to get hurt. Maybe it will weaken even more till tomorrow and by Thursday morning when it is supposed to make contact with the land it won't be scary. We still have to be extremely well prepared.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is the kind of attitude "that can't happen to me". I will keep on trying to explain it to them but it looks like the comfort of not going to work has no equal ))))

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I know I am idealistic but I strongly hope for nobody to get hurt.
ioana, well if people would listen to the weather forecasters and GET OUT when they are told, nobody would get hurt - end of story! That is what's rediculous!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Ok this is REALLY rediculous. Check out this quote I got from weather.com:

With Isabel weakened, Joe Hardison figured he would stay aboard his 35-foot houseboat on Bogue Sound at Morehead City, west of Cape Lookout, and ride it out as he did earlier storms over the years.

"If (the boat) breaks loose, it's going to run aground somewhere. If it does, I'll step off," said the 59-year-old air conditioning man, who had stocked his vessel with 120 pounds of ice, 50 gallons of water and a half gallon of rum.

I don't even know what to say, this guy is a complete idiot. How do you just "jump off" when your boat splits apart and runs aground???? Especially when there is 10 foot seas??? Some people!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts