Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nathan Winograd had asked this question. I thought it was clever.
So many people assume shelters dont put animals down.
What is your perspective of the sign on their front lobby door?

We should give kudos to rescues and shelters that are no kill.
Takes effort and initiative to get companion animals into happy homes!

Will people just go dump their animals if they see this sign?
What about the people who really must release their pet?
I'm conflicted on what to think.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Personally, most people who "dump" pets just don't care to begin with, and I don't think it will make a difference to someone like that. For someone who honestly needs to release a pet, it will only make the reality that much more real for them. If you are in a situation where there is a true need to release your pet, and you've already exhausted all efforts to find a suitable home, there aren't many other options these days, simply because most of the no-kill shelters are so full, and not taking new pets in.

Unfortunately, I believe we live in a "out of sight, out of mind" society. If someone can't see it, or feel it, it must not exist. They need a flashing neon sign in front of their face to see the reality of things sometimes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think the sign is good, that way it will be more of an eye opener to those who don't want to or can't "deal" with there pet anymore, I hope the sign would make them aleast double think their actions, if anything.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
It's good that they're honest about the reality, but obviously it's not great that they have to do it at all.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
My thought is that seeing that sign, it may lead to more people to dump their cats outside near a farm on a country road, or another part of their town, and wish them luck. At this time of year especially most shelters are full of new kitten arrivals. It's a terrible dilemma for sure for the shelter and everyone. I have nothing against shelter cats or DSH/DLHs, but having purebred recognized breed of cats (Devon Rex) is one of the reasons I have not owned a domestic for many many years. One never knows what can happen....an auto accident, health crisis or something else that would precipitate giving up one's beloved cats. I do know that purebred cats have a better chance at adoption.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts