Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi kitty lovers!

Well guess what?! I finally picked out a match for my 14 month old female Tabby (Maxie).

I brought him home (Avery - almost 2 months old all black, and a tiny and adorable little guy) tonight and have him in the bathroom all set up. He seemed more shy of me than anything...because...

The kitties are already playing footsies under the door! No hissing at all, In a matter of minutes, they were playing footsies under the door. He seemed happier to have another kitty there at least, and I'm really surprised at Maxie. I was soooo afraid she'd be hissing or mad at me, but hoping for a companion for her while I'm away at work. Right now and for the last hour, she's been playing under the door and she's very vocal..so she's been "trilling" in a sense, playing, having fun.

So.... can any one please tell me..is that a good sign?
Or is it wayyy too soon to tell?

Of course I have no intention to have them together at all for a while, and keep them separated, but just wondering if anyone has had experienced this.. and is it because they are not face to face they are playing footsies and its just normal? (And I should expect probably hissing when the time comes for face to face intros?)

Thanks for any replies.. just wondering!

No worries on vaccinations, etc. I've got info on Avery's parents, no Fel LUk, etc. Maxie is fully vaccinated, and he's got to get his first shots and they already fixed him, etc but this is very beginning of intro. If things go ok, I can get him in for a free first exam.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would think it's a very good sign. I don't think there would be any harm in letting them have total interaction with your supervision and keeping them separated at night and while you're at work for a while. Some kitties get along great right from the start and it sounds like you are one of the lucky ones.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh boy thank you Gabby.. I was sure hoping so. But I cracked the door open a bit more, and Maxie "saw" baby kitty and threw a fit. : ( I guess I thought she'd know what those little paws were, but I guess not. SHe was hissing and growling like I hnever heard her before. I realize this is expected, and it'll take a bit longer and need to keep them separate, rub the towels, change up rooms, etc. Just want to keep baby protected and not stress out Maxie in the meantime. They seem fine separated for now.

Though if Maxie doesn't warm up at all, (I really wanted her to be happy and/or morecurious, not so afraid of this little guy, and/or perhaps thought she would with a little companion) I'll probably bring baby kitty back for his own good and just use some of the credit at the Humane Society for some things and perhaps just leave the rest for a donation. Then I'll know also if Maxie is meant to be a single kitty. And that is just fine, at least I'll know.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I know it takes time, so I wouldn't throw in the towel so early. It takes some real patience to go through the process, but if we had a nickel for every time it started like you're describing and ended up well, we'd be rich.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts