Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lately i've noticed cujo's normally snow white chin has been looking a little dirty and brownish. i inspected his chin today and noticed little black dirt looking thingies on his fur next to the skin. his skin doesn't appear to be reddened at all, but there is black stuff all over his chin fur. he's been eating out of a ceramic bowl for a while now at least 3 months, but his water bowl is a fresh flow fountain and therefore plastic. i also put him on a wet food only diet about a week and a half ago.

any ideas?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey Faile... I have been thinking my Pete has acne too. But I shrugged it off. After a little research, I am begininng to think that is what this is. Here is a picture. Is this what Cujo is experiencing?

*sorry for the bad quality of picture, pete doesn't like having his picture taken :lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
cat acne

One of our cats had acne. He died last year from Cardiomyopathy(not related!) The vet advised me to gently pick off the little crusts and he gave me some Hibitane Scrub to clean the area and allways feed him using ceramic dishes. It kept it well under control.

·
Registered
18 Posts
acne

Our cat, Thomas, had little brown, hard lumps on his chin. I thought, at first, they were seeds from the grass or something, but when I picked it off it left a red mark with a deep indentation. He never seemed bothered by them and it didn't seem to hurt him. They seemed more unsightly than anything....bless his little cotton socks...I still miss him! My other two cats missed him for ages as well, I am sure, and one seems to have so many of his funny little ways...silly me!! :cry:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Feline acne is typically found on the chin and around the lips. It can be just little blackheads or a blackish discharge on the fur, all the way to monster zits like abscesses that can be extremely painful.

Often the problem is caused or exacerbated by plastic food dishes because bacteria live in the porous surface and can't ever be completely sterilized even in the dishwasher. Same with brushed aluminum. So, glass and ceramic are the best bets.

If the cat already has acne, just changing food bowls will not necessarily resolve it completely. The area can be clipped (by the vet!) and then cleaned once or twice a day with gauze dipped in a *very* dilute solution of Betadine, chlorhexidine, or other antiseptic soap (but NOT the common "antibacterial" soaps containing triclosan, which leave too much residue).

In severe cases, topical or systemic antibiotics may be necessary. Your vet may even have to anesthetize the cat to treat the multiple abscesses to get it under control.

This condition is much more common in cats who eat a lot of dry food, possibly because of the ubiquitous surface contamination of dry food with bacteria, or maybe because dry food bowls tend to get washed less frequently.

Supplementation with antioxidants and skin-healing Omega-3 fatty acids can help the immune system kick the bacteria out.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
samantha- i cant really tell from that picture, but you have to look really close and actually look at the base of the fur to see it on cujo. it just looks like black gunk on his fur, msybe some on his skin too. it's hard to tell.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
My dear Twinkie had feline acne for a while and I didn't even know about it. It got pretty bad and scarred up b/c he kept itching it with his back feet. Here is my post about that and in the middle there is a picture of his scabbed up chin. If your cat keeps scratching at that area it will probably look like Twinkie's chin later. Hope it clears up :eek:

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Sorry to bump this back up -- but I didn't want to start a new thread. I think Jack might have some kitty acne but I'm not sure. I just noticed that in each corner of his mouth is a little round hard ball, it's in his lip - kind of swelling the corners of his mouth. One side looks reddened. I wish I had a digicam. Anyway -- does this sound like acne or something else?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Definitely not normal -- the side that was reddened is now bleeding. Mia doesn't have these bumps on her lips either -- they are solid and hard and make the corners of his lip look swollen. I put Jack's e-collar on.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My 8-yr. old, Jack, has cat acne and it's just like little black bumps all over his chin. Almost makes his chin look 'dirty'. We have always used ceramic dishes since we found out what this is, but it continues. He doesn't seem to mind and I don't think it impacts his overall health.

Lisa :)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
It's funny, but every female cat I have had has had feline acne, and none of my males have! :eek: I can keep Ashley's somewhat controlled with a ceramic dish, but she always has a bit on her chin.

·
Registered
8 Posts
DR JEAN ~ I have a cat with feline acne. I've been treating it with Habitane cleanser for now, but really would like to avoid breakouts in the future.

You mentioned some natural ways of helping out the cat's immune system. What exactly are these? Vitamin E? Or something else?

Here is pic

1 - 17 of 17 Posts