Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My cat is currently on dry food only but I'd like to try how she does on wet food. I got some to today to try but I'm getting confused with the ingredients.. does this sound any good or would I be better off feeding something else?

Composition: meat and animal derivatives (turkey4%, chicken4%), minerals, various sugars, oils and fats, derivatives of vegetable origin.

There are also some additives like vitamins and stuff, and cassia gum is listed as emulsifier for the pate one (I got one in gravy and one pate just to try them).

Protein 9%, moisture 81%, crude fibres 0.5%, crude oils and fats 6.5%, crude ash 2%.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Those ingredients are pretty vague. Meat content should be higher than 8 percent. Unless they're saying there's other unknown animal derivatives besides the turkey and chicken. Sugars are not good for a cat.... what brand is it? Good canned food is found at a pet supply store, especially a privately owned one. Petsmart and Petco, places like that have a few good brands, grocery stores pretty much have only stuff with animal by products and who knows what those are. It's best to have named meat sources such as Turkey, turkey meal, chicken, chicken meal, etc.... Not Animal by-products, or Meat by-products. That could be anything. Literally. Anything.

I just noticed you're from Ireland. Maybe someone here can help you with suggestions on what is available in your country. :) That being said, I would still feed what you bought, and see if they like it. Sometimes people have to start out with lesser quality canned food to get their kibble addicts to eat it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
With those vague ingredients, I couldn't tell you.

Is that really what the can says?

What brand and variety is this?

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Labeling requirements for pet foods in many other countries are a lot less detailed than the US or Canada. This label is very typical for European foods.

With the little info that's here, I'd say it is a pretty poor quality food. Knowing the brand would help though....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies.. yes, that is what it says on it, I was also surprised about how vague it was because I expected to see a percentage of meat content somewhere. It's the premium version of the supermarket's own brand wet food, the turkey and chicken variety, I checked some other brands they had though and the ingredients all looked the same to me. I think the 4% chicken and 4% turkey means that the rest of the meat content is something else.. I think it must be more than 8% because it's the first ingredient listed?

I think I'll need to order some better food online, there isn't a great selection of wet food even in the bigger pet stores around here, they mostly carry dry. The brands that get a lot of mention on this forum don't seem to be available here though so I'll have to do some more research. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts