Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this post might be long, but the situation is a bit confusing...

Yesterday afternoon, my Meatball went into the litter box, as normal, but she only sat there for a few second and jumped out. She did that again a few minutes later. Then she went with Metoo into the bathtub. I didn't pay much attetion as they like to play there. When I went to check upon them, Meatball dashed out the bathroom (now think about it, she possibly knows she did a bad thing), and I saw a pile of poop in the bathtub. I'm pretty sure it's Meatball's, as Metoo has already pooped in the morning. The poop looks completely normal, no diarrhea or blood.

So I took the litter box into the bathroom and picked the poop into it. While I was doing it, Meatball jumped into the litter box, sat there for quite long time and looked at me. I cannot tell if she had pee, since I use pellet litter. I put the box back to the normal place, went to retrieve Meatball from cat tree (she struggled, which is abnormal. I guess she knew she did something wrong and thought I gonna punish her). I put her in the litter box, didn't force her to smell or scold her. Just left her there for a few second before she jumped out. That night I heard she went into the box, but cannot tell if she had pee.

I left the bathroom door closed at night, and this morning when I woke up, I saw some uncovered poop in the litter box. Must be Meatballs because Metoo always cover hers. Again, the poop looks normal, just less than normal amount, but I'm not very concerned, because she usually poop once a day, and it has been only half day since her last poop.

When I was inspecting her poop, Meatball jumped in the box, sit there for a bit longer than usual, and looked at me from time to time, similar to what she did yesterday. Now that makes me confused. I don't know if she was trying to poop more but cannot because of constipation, or she was simply trying to show me that she is a good girl and knows how to use her litter box?

I know improper eliminating is usually health related. But considering the poop looks normal, Meatball is playful and has a good appetite, I'm not very worried. I will observe her couple more days to see if she will do the same thing.

Now my question:
Is Meatball having a (possibly mild) constipation? I want to add some canned pumpkin into her diet (figured that even if she doesn't have one, it won't hurt), but I cannot find any. All I can find in our closest superstore is canned squash for baby. Does that work the same?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I thought about that too, but I had hard time telling if she did pee or not. The urine went down to the botton of box and the top pellets always look the same. So I cannot say for sure if those where successful trips or not.

Meatball eats only canned food and raw, and I always add extra amount of water in her food. She is not over weight, only 10 month old. Could it still be URI giving this living style? Do you know what's the other symptoms of UTI? Thanks!

·
Registered
709 Posts
I've seen this with both urinary and constipation before.

I'd keep an eye on her, but Mitzi gets this every now and again (this morning actually) when she has a fur ball. I see Meatball is longhaired too- so it's possible this may be the issue as well.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, hairball also crossed my mind this morning when I was searching answers online :)

Meatball doesn't shed a lot and she doesn't groom herself frequently. But it still could be hairball. I'm going to get some hairball control canned today. Unforturnately my cat grass all withered now :/

I saw online that canned pumpkin is also recommended for hairball. Now again, I cannot get canned pumpkin easily. Will canned squash baby food do the same trick?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a bad cooker... Actually I don't cook. And the pumpkin is HUGE. What should I do with the rest (I don't like eating pumpkin)? Well, I will give it a try if has to be...

Do you have to take the pumpkin peel off when you cook? Should that be boiled in the water or steamed? Heading off for some receipes...

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I would cut the flesh (minus seeds and skin) into cubes and steam until soft. Then I'd freeze/can some for future cat use and make pumpkin roll cake with the rest. :p

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the cooking guide! LOL, I didn't even carve a pumpkin for Halloween and now I'm doing this... Gonna be fun :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts