Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a male and female cat that are 7-8 months and I feed them each 1/4 cup of dry food per day. The male weighs 5 pounds and the female just under. I used to free feed them but they got so fat!! They used to have massive fat pouches on their lower stomach, but those are now gone, and in my opinion they are not too skinny, but I don't want to stunt their growth by feeding them too little.
I feed Kirkland which has 443 calories/ cup, so almost 111 calories per day.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That sounds a bit low to me(the amount of food I mean). I feed dry and canned and I give a 1/4c along with 3 oz of canned a day! Although she doesn't eat all of the food every day, she will eat most of it.
The dry I use is Orijen and I use a variety of grain free wet. Leelu is a normal 8-9lbs and she is 1.5yrs. She even looks thin to me sometimes but shes not a big himmie and she is at her ideal weight.
Do your cats eat all the food in one sitting? Can you feel ribs/hip bones? If they aren't crying all day for more food and have a good body condition then keep on doing what you are doing, but keep a close eye on their weight. Kittens should be able to eat as much as they want, and the reason for the chubbiness is the high carbs in the dry. Maybe try supplementing with some canned?

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Are they a breed of cat that is particularly small because 5 lbs and under for a 7-8 month old is extremely small. Kittens tend to get fat little bellies and then have a growth spurt. I recommend feeding them as much as they'll eat in 15 minutes, 3 times a day. I also agree with getting wet food in their diet, it's so much better for them.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Are you sure those are fat pouches? Even when my Lily was emaciated and at least 3 lbs underweight toward the end of her life, she had a "pouch," which was really just a flap of skin under her stomach. 5 lbs is VERY light for a 7-8 month old cat...we got our two original cats at 4 months old and they already weighed at least 2 lbs more than that...

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Are they a breed of cat that is particularly small because 5 lbs and under for a 7-8 month old is extremely small. Kittens tend to get fat little bellies and then have a growth spurt. I recommend feeding them as much as they'll eat in 15 minutes, 3 times a day. I also agree with getting wet food in their diet, it's so much better for them.
All of this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have no idea what breed they are (pretty sure they are mutts). I got them from my neighbours . I think they are 7-8 months, but honestly I don't know. They could be much younger than that. Their hips and ribs are not prominent. They do seem tiny to me but not really skinny. I think they were fat pouches? They were on each side at the lowest part of their belly and aren't really there anymore.
They are outside cats so I'm assuming they are catching mice.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
very nice looking cats there~
hmm...ok my Sonic is 3 months atm, he finishes 1x 5.50z wet can daily in 3 feedings and recently he's starting to grab a 4th meal for supper before sleep...
how big is the cup ur using?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is just a standard measuring cup.
So since they aren't really skinny, are they just small cats and I shouldn't think too much about it unless they start losing weight?

·
Registered
248 Posts
it was my understanding to feed kittens all they want until adults, and was not wise to underfeed them...they need lots of food since there bodys are growing. if you ask me, 1/4 cup is extremely low amount of food

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
They are outside cats so I'm assuming they are catching mice.
That's a pretty important piece of info when asking about how much to feed. The thing is, you're never going to know how much they eat per day...so one day they may not catch any prey and not get enough food and another day they may catch 4 mice and eat the kibble too. Since what they catch on their own is a complete mystery I don't think there's any advice we can give you other than monitor their body condition.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts