Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Is she a girl? My best guess is that it's a torby with white (tortoiseshell with tabby markings) with very few colour differences or something o_O So, like a calico, but without as many patches! Very distinctive markings, really cool looking, never seen anything like it :p

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to the poster, it is a female cat yes. All of you already assumed that though! haha.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Nope, Sampson isn't a torbie! Torbie's are generally female due to them having both the red and blue colour genes (which is the black and orange spotting you see) which are related to the X sex chromosomes. Since females have two, and males usually only have one, it's very rare to have a male torbie :)

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
What a beauty!! Her fur alone would make it rare. I've never seen marking quite like that in all my many, many, many, many, many, many, many years!!!

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
Looks like a calico to me... on a torbie the black would also have tabby markings in it I believe. Black/orange with possible white and other various modifiers make up about 50% of female cats I believe.

My mother's calico cat has one black front leg and one orange front leg, but the orange on her is not as pronounced with the tabby stripes - and she's never got a picture at that angle showing it off in such a way. Even on non-tabby orange cats they can never get rid of the tabby strips and show up with various tabby strips.

She's still a unique looking cat, though.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Man, that's weird. I was about to cry photoshop, but it looks pretty real and more realistic in the other angles of photos.

I would call her a 'caliby' - I've seen that term referenced in some of the color guides, although I doubt it's an official color/pattern designation.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.