Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our cat Daisy just today started doing something strange. She goes to different areas in the house (sometimes hidden, sometimes not) where she squats as if to pee, but nothing comes out. She has a litter box, and she did it in there once. She also went in our bathroom, behind a garbage can and on a pile of clothes. I saw her drinking a little bit of water earlier. What does this mean?!! And if this is kidney failure, what are we to expect?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! I looked that up, and she definitely has those symptoms. We cant get an appt. for the vet until late last week. Does anybody know of any home remedies that may help?

·
Registered
366 Posts
It's hard to know if it is kidney failure or not without the vet visit. Has she also lost a lot of weight recently? Is she lethargic? Is she not eating, but drinking a lot? Is she dehydrated? Those are all red flags for kidney problems and you should get the kitty to the vet right away.

Check out this site: http://www.felinecrf.org/index.htm
There is a very good list of (feline renal failure) symptoms.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
This sounds much more like a UTI. Here is a little article to get you started...but it is urgent that you get to a vet as soon as possible.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=017

The primary treatment for this problem is to get the cat on an all-wet food diet. NO DRY FOOD. Dry food is a major contributor and perpetuator of urinary tract disease.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree. Call your vet monday and insist on getting in sooner. I work in an animal hospital and we would never let a cat wait a week for an appointment with those symptoms. Keep us posted :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for that information Dr Jean.. that article helped. All wet food from now on.. Thanks for your support eveyone! Her status now has seemed to improve.. i'm keeping a stern eye on her.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have found UTI are most common if you feed cheap dry food. One of mine had an actual urinary tract blockage years ago from that - it was very expensive to clear.

The vet never recommended wet food, but did try to convince me I had to use some really expensive food. I used Purina One, dry food, the formula for urinary tract health instead (which another vet had recommended) and he has never had a problem since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts