Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morse gets out of breath when he plays. He does a single 'huff' after he stops running. I get out of breath when I run, so I'm wondering if it is normal. I never heard my cats do it when I was growing up though, so I thought I'd ask.

I can take him to the vet, but he really hates going. It really stresses him out, so I'd rather not take him unless it is not normal. Although he does need vaccines shortly, so I will ask while we're there. Do I need to bump the appointment up though? He's done it since I've had him, I got him from the shelter and he had a URI but it did not resolve when that did.

· Registered
1,719 Posts
Sasha used to play so hard as a kitten and would run out of breath and pant. I learned to restrict his play sessions to no more than 15 mins at a time. Since your cat had a URI recently, could be his lungs are still not 100%. Next time you're at the vet ask just to be safe, but it sounds pretty normal for a young cat.

· Registered
5,669 Posts
It's best to get the cat checked out by a vet. Panting after short exertion can also indicate a heart problem. Some vets will make house calls, or some vets only have a mobile service. That would be a good option for you to look into if you're cat really hates going to a vet. Good luck to you and Morse.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am a horrible mother. I took him to the vet, and took the laser with me. He actually relaxed enough to play with it in there (he LOVES his laser though) to get him to make the noise for the vet. The vet took his collar off and had him play some more - no noise. He said it wasn't on too tight, but he probably just hates the feeling of wearing it. I can try a different collar or just let him be without. I kind of want him to wear one just in case he ever gets out so he doesn't go to the shelter. He's microchipped but I think he'd freak out if he ended up in a shelter again, even for a few hours.

· Registered
1,092 Posts
Sounds like a normal thing to me. My Meatball sometimes pants like a dog after running around crazy for a few minutes, or when she is stressed (like riding in a car). And she has no heart problem for sure. She got her annual check last month (on the way to the vet, she panted). The vet actually commented that she has a very strong heart. I didn't ask him about that, he just found it so good that worth mentioning.

However, if the panting last more than a few seconds, or it's repeating, then I think that indicates some problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.