Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

We recently took in a new cat Stella, 8 months, and she and our resident cat Stig (male, 2 years old) have been getting on ok.

We introduced them slowly and there doesn't seem to be any dramas except Stig will chase Stella sometimes and she'll get scared if he gets too close.

Stella still sleeps in our bathroom as we do not trust them to be left alone, we'd like to be there in case a fight breaks out.

Last night, we couldn't find Stig! Stella was asleep on the sofa and we looked everywhere for him! eventually we went into the bathroom and found him lying in her bed, which is a cat carrier with a towel over it.

we found that very odd! it must have reaked of her and was all the way off at the other end of the house.

anyone have any insight into why he might like to sleep in her bed?

·
Registered
804 Posts
He might be trying to cover up her scent with his. Either that or he really likes her... but it that was it, I'd think he'd lay with her instead of in her bed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm interesting. She's also been using his litter tray, i don't know how he minds that, he still seems to use it.

he doesn't seem bothered by her, more curious. and when he chases he it looks like he wants to play with her but she's scared of him. (don't blame her she's only a 3rd of his size!)

hopefully, they'll get better so we can leave them both loose in the house over night and when we're out.

the other problem is her food. as she's so small she only grazes. it's odd, she seems more interested in playing with toys then eating. so stig, who is SO greedy, has his dinner, then heads straight to the bathroom to finish off hers! we've had to shut her in there to encourage her to eat and then take it away and give it back to her at night.

any suggestions? we really need to be able to leave food out as we'd like to go down the coast to see my uncle for the weekend and have the neighbours pop round and feed them, but can't really until these issues are sorted...

74 Posts
You know I have only done slow introductions with older senior cats that get upset easier... I had Leivie first and when he turned 6 months I brought home Freckles as a kitten and they are now bonded/married. 1 year later I brought home Midnight as a full grown 1 year old and they hit it off perfectly. No growling, hissing, or swatting. 2 years further down the road I recently brought home Master Wu, a kitten with cerebellar hypoplasia, and yet again I didnt do a slow introduction. I kept him in the bedroom with me at night just to keep him safe but within a day Leivie and Wu were laying next to eachother about a foot apart. Freckles is my only female and I believe females are more pissy and moody. She had the hardest time with it growling and hissing occasionally. I cant remember the last time she hissed at him though. It's been about 3 weeks since Wu got here and Midnight cleans and plays with him regularly (thank god, because I got Wu to bond with Midnight). I think the key is to give the oldest residents the most attention especially in front of the newcomer. I ignore growling and hissing... I dont praise it nor punish it and its never gotten out of hand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We try to give Stig, the older cat, more attention. but he's one of those cats that will only accept attention when he wants it. whereas Stella is like a little baby. happy to be held in anyway, wants to be with us all the time, is always on the couch with us.

I've noticed in the mornings, when they are wanting to be fed, they are quite happy together, sniffing each others bums and noses, but in the evenings, Stig just wants to chase Stella. so now she spends most of the evening under the couch!

he's such a bully!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts