Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-1 lb raw goat milk
-2 lb goat yogurt
-2 dozen brown eggs (raw yolk, slightly cooked white)

Mixed together as a meal sometime. Need to get the okay from some of you before I try that, I know it could cause diarrhea BUT it would be a really cheap meal which I kinda need to do right now. Also this isn't one of the balanced meals. There are two meals a week that are just plain meat so this would be substituded as one.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.crohns.net/Miva/education/ab ... milk.shtml

Easier digestion allows the lactose to pass through the intestines more rapidly, not giving it time to ferment or cause an osmotic imbalance.
Goat's milk also contains 7% less lactose than cow milk.
Additionally, most lactose intolerant people have found that they can tolerate goat's milk and goat milk products.
They got it tonight after lots of okays from another forum. Everyone LOVED it, well the 2 that I forgot hated eggs didn't but that's just because of my poor memory.

So the next few days I'll see what the litterbox thinks of it. If its fine than I hope to do it every two weeks or so.

So the benifits (I think) are:

-a rich and differant source of calcium
-the probiotics in the yogurt
-a new source of protein (and also very high protein)
-they LOVE it

·
Banned
952 Posts
Hmmm. I know you've already fed this, but I would lean towards Jack&Harley's answer. Yogurt, milk and eggs just isn't a meal I would offer my cats.

Why do the other folks think it's ok/good? I'm always open to learning!!

·
Banned
2,748 Posts
furryfriends251 said:
So the benifits (I think) are:

-a rich and differant source of calcium
-the probiotics in the yogurt
-a new source of protein (and also very high protein)
-they LOVE it
I don't see any benefits. Healthy cats do not need probiotics. If they are sick/on antibiotics, provide probios if necessary from a dairy-free source, as cats are largely lactose intolerant. Goat's milk is less likely to cause a problem, but they don't need it. And too much egg WILL cause the runs.

This is certainly far from a balanced diet, and I wouldn't feed it even occasionally. If you can't afford to feed raw (though I get most of mine for free), go with canned instead. I wouldn't rely on this to any degree at all.

·
Registered
580 Posts
It is another source of calcium and protein however it isn't natural. And by feeding raw I would assume you are going for natural. If its variety you are looking for do it in meats not with dairy. It doesn't have to be frequent variety just variety.

Like over the weekend I picked up duck wings for the second time, the boys had them about 2 months ago for their bone in meals. They are actually really inexpensive around here and add some great variety to their normal chicken bone in meals. I couldn't afford duck muscle meat.

Leslie

·
Banned
2,748 Posts
Jack&Harley said:
Like over the weekend I picked up duck wings for the second time, the boys had them about 2 months ago for their bone in meals. They are actually really inexpensive around here and add some great variety to their normal chicken bone in meals. I couldn't afford duck muscle meat.
?? Huh? What do you think is in duck wings? All the meat is "muscle meat." It's muscle, fat, bone, tendons, etc.

·
Registered
580 Posts
There is very little meat on the duck wings. I'm saying it helps variety on bone in meals but its not like there is enough meat on the wings to pull off and add to none bone in meals--I'd need to buy thighs or a whole duck for that.

Leslie

·
Banned
2,748 Posts
Jack&Harley said:
There is very little meat on the duck wings. I'm saying it helps variety on bone in meals but its not like there is enough meat on the wings to pull off and add to none bone in meals--I'd need to buy thighs or a whole duck for that.
Well, sure. But why would you pull the meat off? Just let the cat do that. Most cats won't eat all the bone in a duck anyway. If you feel you need to add more meat, just toss in a little beef or something. :)

·
Banned
2,748 Posts
Why the eye-rolling? I'm saying that it makes no sense to ever take the meat off bones for cats, unless for some reason they refuse to eat it otherwise. That seems like a lot of work for no good reason, when the cat is perfectly capable of removing the meat, tendons, ligaments, and all other edible stuff him/herself. :?:

·
Banned
952 Posts
hoofmaiden said:
Why the eye-rolling? I'm saying that it makes no sense to ever take the meat off bones for cats, unless for some reason they refuse to eat it otherwise. That seems like a lot of work for no good reason, when the cat is perfectly capable of removing the meat, tendons, ligaments, and all other edible stuff him/herself. :?:
I'm rolling my eyes, Hoofmaiden, because you consistently seem to misunderstand what people are saying and this is a prime example (maybe you're scanning threads a bit too fast?). No one said anything about pulling meat off anything. Leslie simply used a recent purchase of duck wings as an example in support of her recommendation to Furryfriends to vary protein and calcium sources using meat-based - as opposed to dairy-based - products.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IF I could ever get a chest freezer I'd try get free meat. As it is I really can't...I'm going to see if the butcher would give me the scraps sometime soon. If I could get free organ meat from them that would help so much, also maybe things like lung, heart, and tripe.

As a sidenote, no one did get diarrhea from what I gave them. Their poop stayed the same.

·
Banned
2,748 Posts
Auntie Crazy said:
I'm rolling my eyes, Hoofmaiden, because you consistently seem to misunderstand what people are saying and this is a prime example (maybe you're scanning threads a bit too fast?). No one said anything about pulling meat off anything. Leslie simply used a recent purchase of duck wings as an example in support of her recommendation to Furryfriends to vary protein and calcium sources using meat-based - as opposed to dairy-based - products.
Jack&Harley said:
??? I'm sorry, but she did say that. Which is why I was just letting her (and others lurking) know that there is no need to pull meat off bone-in food. If there is a misunderstanding, I believe it's due to the way the post above was worded. :?:

·
Registered
580 Posts
The point I was making and I did write it clearly was that I am using the duck wings for bone in meals not meals with bone. Obviously not every meal I feed is a bone in meal. So in order to use duck for a meal without bone I would need to purchase a whole duck or duck thighs where there is more muscle meat that could be pulled from the bone.

Must you try and start an argument constantly? Or is that you just believe you know everything?

Leslie

·
Banned
2,748 Posts
Jack&Harley said:
The point I was making and I did write it clearly was that I am using the duck wings for bone in meals not meals with bone. Obviously not every meal I feed is a bone in meal. So in order to use duck for a meal without bone I would need to purchase a whole duck or duck thighs where there is more muscle meat that could be pulled from the bone.

Must you try and start an argument constantly? Or is that you just believe you know everything?
I wasn't arguing. I honestly thought that's what you were saying, and, to tell you the truth I now have NO idea what you're saying. What is a "bone-in meal" vs. a "meal with bone"?? Those are the same thing in my book. There is no such thing as bone w/out meat, or there shouldn't be. ?????

·
Registered
580 Posts
I meant a bone in meal and a meal without bone, my bad I have pneumonia and human so I'm bound to misstype now and again.

Just because it isn't in your book doesn't mean it isn't right or acceptable, but then again that seems to be the issue here.

I don't feed bone every meal. And most of the other raw feeders here don't either I feed bone-in meals 3 days a week.

Leslie

·
Banned
2,748 Posts
Jack&Harley said:
I don't feed bone every meal. And most of the other raw feeders here don't either I feed bone-in meals 3 days a week.
I don't either and never suggested one should! :) My point is that there is lots of meat out there that already isn't ON the bone to feed (beef, pork, venison, etc. etc.), without removing meat from the bone in order to feed a boneless meal. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

·
Banned
2,748 Posts
Jack&Harley said:
I thought there was no such thing as bone without meat?
Not sure what you mean. One should never feed bone w/out meat, no. But there is meat without bone (boneless)-- that's what I meant. Again, I'm unclear where the confusion is! When you want to feed a bone-in meal you feed bone w/ meat on it (bone-in chicken, mouse, quail, etc.). Otherwise you feed meat by itself (boneless).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts