Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat, some time after going #2 in the litter box, kinda walks on his butt as if wiping or scratching it. (It's hilarious to watch). Well before he did it on a dark carpet so I didn't see stains, but then I noticed some "wiped poo" on the white window sill, and a little on my bed sheets where he sleeps (now I put his sleeping blanket there, so that he'd do it there) . It looks like he is using these surfaces as toilet paper. Is this normal? Part of cat cleaning himself? His poo in the litter box is perfectly normal.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
This may have something to do with impacted anal glands. I'm not very familiar with it but its called butt scooting hehe. I hope someone else can help you with this. Good luck :lol:

·
Registered
209 Posts
"scooting" isn't necessarily a normal procedure. they usually only scoot if they have poo stuck to their fur, or have a poo that they just can't, er, squeeze all the way out. it could very well be an anal gland problem though, so you should probably have him checked by a vet just in case.

if he's a long haired cat, you might want to trim the fur around his butt and back legs. my roommate's cat is overweight (he can't reach his butt to clean it) and has really long, puffy fur...so his poo get stuck on him all the time. we have to trim him with scissors frequently. ideally, getting his butt shaved by a vet or a groomer is best, but my roomie's cat goes insane at the vet and so we're stuck with the unpleasant task :lol:

if that's not the case, your cat might just be a little lazy and thinks its easer to wipe his poo on the carpet rather than lick it off himself :lol:

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Nasty! I have 4 kids still home and the thought if the butt scids on the carpet grosses me out...Bosco has had a history if anal sac troubles.

He has not had to be expressed since I have improved his diet!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies,

He doesn't "scoot" too often, only once in a while. I watched him closely, it seems that when he does try to lick himself there, he cant really bend that much and reach. He is a bit longer and bigger than other cats I've seen, plus he has a bit of a belly. However, he noticibly lost weight for the 2.5 months that I had him, due to my efforts. It just seems that if his belly goes away he'll be able to reach.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I know my 8-yr. old is a tubby fellow at 23 lbs., so he does his share of butt scooting. He doesn't do it too often, thought. I'm hoping that he'll lose a bit of weight and do a better job of grooming *back there*...

Lisa :)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I have a long hair cat that does the scoot sometimes. He has done it since he was a baby. My boyfriend keeps telling me to trim hhis fur near his butt. I think he will just look goofy. I just check and make sure he doesn't have anything ummm....hanging or stuck back there :lol:

My oldest cat is overweight. I took her to the vet a while back because she kind of smelled :( They ended up shaving her butt and she was on antibiotics for 2 weeks due to the irritation from not being clean. I bought some baby wipes and wipe her clean a few times a week. She is on a diet now. So hopefully she will be able to clean herself thourghly soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts