Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cat is 8.5 years old, and his health is getting worse every day. It started 1.5 years ago – daily diarrhea and vomit. I took him to different vets over this time and did all kind of tests (parasites, blood work, diarrhea profile, thyroid test, vitamins test) but no vet could help my kitty. He clearly has inflammation in his guts and his body doesn’t absorb the food he eats.I’ve tried:
  • Switching diet to prescribed food only
  • Switching to table food only
  • Switching to wet food only
  • Switching to high protein foods only
  • Probiotics
  • Antibiotics
  • Steroids
  • Anti-worms’ treatment
Nothing helped. My cat lost lots of weight. He is dehydrated and starving but can’t really eat anything. Whenever he eats a little bit – he is vomiting and has super liquid diarrhea 6-10 times a day every day outside of his litter box.It’s hard watching him suffering and being sad and it’s not easy to clean after him every hour for months. My vet gave up and said there is nothing he can do and doesn’t know what’s going on.

What do I do? If anyone had a similar experience, I’d highly appreciate any advice. Thank you so much in advance!

·
Super Moderator
27,073 Posts
Poor little guy. I think he's far past his time, and he needs you to be strong and free him from his pain and suffering. I know it's a hard decision.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'm sorry you and your cat are going through all of that. Has your cat had a blood test for fPLI? or an abdominal Xray or Ultrasound? Is there a Vet that specializes in GI issues where you live?

·
Registered
Franny -- best cat ever! purring in my heart Porch cat THE DIVIT aka Divey seriously traumatized
50 Posts
When I haven't got any kind of an answer to ease your turmoil of worry and care-- the best I can do is let you know you are heard. Your love and heartache is so evident. Your search for anything to ease your friend's suffering is evident and well considered.
Dear Beautiful Person -- you have lovingly cleaned up liquid kitty poo over 3,000 times in a year and a half. There is NO greater love than that -- except to accept that this can't continue. Neither you nor your sweet friend can continue like this...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm so sorry to read this about your kitty. I fully understand the situation but it sounds like you've taken the proper steps to find an answer. I have to agree with "ahh I aint no pet" and "marie 73" you can't let your friend continue suffering, nor should you. It's tough, I know.

·
Registered
Spirit
189 Posts
Agree with the others.. Need to look at your beloved kitty's quality of life.. sounds like you've tried your best.. and so has the Vets..
Sounds like its time to make the hardest but necessary decision of ultimate love... so that he's not suffering any longer..
Have had to make that decision more often than I'd like to and it is definitely the hardest one but kindest one for the animal.. xx
So so sorry he is so unwell.. :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
So sorry this is happening. Did your vet mention anything about diagnosing your cat with pancreatitis? Or maybe even calling it colitis? Just over a year ago my cat had terrible bright yellow diarrhea for 3 days in a row and then started vomiting uncontrollably. I took him into the emergency vet and they ran multiple tests and the vet said it's pancreatitis. They say they don't know what causes this but that they were going to work on the symptoms. They gave me tablets of an anti nausea medicine called Cerenia 16mg. All you need to do is give your cat one tablet and it will stop them from vomiting. The Other Drug given is an anti-diarrheal I had to give via syringe in the mouth twice a day every 12 hours for I believe 10 days. That drug is called metronidazole 100 mg suspension. I had to wait to see if this is going to help and unfortunately he kept flaring up and symptoms came back. I went to my regular vet in which we ended up after some trial and error putting my cat on the metronidazole for another seven days, twice a day every 12 hours and then twice a week in which I would do Friday morning and Monday mornings. We also had to put him on prescription food in which he will remain on for the rest of his life. This food is called Hill's prescription diet gastrointestinal biome digestive / fiber care with chicken. I no longer am able to give my cat anything including wet snacks or let him ingest any catnip for the rest of his life. He is strictly on this cat food diet only and now we are giving his metronidazole only once a week and then we're going to wean him off. This has actually helped and he hasn't had a flare-up in a long time but he did have several prior which were very scary and he also would become very dehydrated and be at the kitchen sink wanting water constantly until he felt more hydrated. There is one issue with this cat food I just mentioned... it has become a problem of short supply like many other things lately. However oh, the vet mentioned an alternative food if I can no longer find the Hill's prescription diet. That food is called Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Adult gastronome viable response dry cat food. This food for 8.5 or 8.5 lb cost around $58 a bag. I feed for cats on this and it lasts me only two weeks. It's a pain in the butt to feed multiple cats different foods and to make sure my sick cat doesn't mix other Foods, this is what I have to do. Did your cat by chance have smelly gas coming out of him before this all started? My cat did and I let it go for about two and a half months because I thought he was just like humans but it was after smelling some horrific gas coming from him, the diarrhea started and then the vomiting. Please let me know if your vet discussed pancreatitis or Colitis with you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Please get him to a holistic vet immediately, if there are none in your vicinity or they are not taking new patients then please get him on brown rice mixed with quality meat like chicken hearts, liver & gizzards - make sue it is absolutely organic! Please jump on ebay & get a copy of "Keep Your Pet Healthy The Natural Way" by Pat Lazrus - it's an old book, its a collection of quotes by vets! They are forth-right in saying what works holistically & what doesn't with conventional veterinarian medicine- they are a united front in advocating a natural diet devoid of chemical additives loaded with cancer-causing agents like carageean. Make a pot of cooked organic brown rice for the week for your little boy then Mix in some steamed greens like Romaine lettuce - just a little, stay away from heavily iron rich greens like, kale, spinach & collard greens, Romaine is safe. See how he does, also there are pet food alerts on the internet & you can sign up for email alerts. I will pray for your baby kitty boy & your guidance. God Bless You Both, Keep us posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh and a couple more things, 8 & a half is still young for a kitty; they are not 7::1 yrs like dogs but 3.4 or less ::1, so your little boy is like a very sick 24 yr old. You Can turn his health around but act now - don't despair - you don't want him to catch that attitude. See if your vet can arrange for your boy to be seen at a nearby state university veterinarian school, they usually have emergency rooms & departments set up like a hospital for cardiac, G.I., & so on; just a thought. But do get the book, "Keep Your Pet Healthy The Natural Way" by Pat Lazarus, you'll have numerous vets' stellar advice right in your hands....God Bless You & Kitty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts