Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, does anyone know if it is okay to give once or perhaps twice a week, Starkist or Chicken of the Sea tuna packed in water to my kittys? I'm going to switch from the 100% dry food diet so want to just get opinions besides switching to the Nutro wet food. Don't want to hurt my precious ones. Thanks friends! :D Susie

·
Registered
10,231 Posts
Here I will quote something DrJean wrote previously :wink:

Please do not feed Joey tuna! It's not good for cats, for many reasons. The worst one is that, as a top-of-the-food-chain predator, tuna is full of heavy metals, wastes, and other toxins that we humans have so thoughtfully been dumping into the oceans for 100 years. You can give a little bit of tuna or tuna juice as an *occasional* treat, but not more than that.

·
Registered
820 Posts
You can buy tuna, which is just chunks of tuna in a kind of gravy that is made my Solid Gold (a leading cat food manufacturer). I give my cats that as a treat maybe once a month. But it is specifically for cats, so I figured it would be ok.

·
Registered
10,231 Posts
Thanks Kim! Appreciate the info! Susie
No problem!

My cats get Solid Gold about once a mth. now too and they love those tuna chunks. I don't feed them that many fishy stuff b/c I've heard not so good things about them. :eek:

·
Registered
34 Posts
In a german forum I used to be this question arised some time ago, too. There someone mentionned that the heavy metal problem (sorry, my english is not so good, I hope you can understand what I mean) varies in the tuna parts, too. That means the red tuna meat has less heavy metal than the white tuna meat. Unfortunately, most catfood with fish, or tuna, is made from the white meat.
As far as I remember the advice went in the same direction: from time to time as a treat tuna is ok, and it was suggested to take a high quality catfood with tuna, but not the humand food or the cheaper cat tins.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts