Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 6 cats, 1 male and 5 females all fixed, all house cats. Gary the tom will chase Isis around whenever he feels she invading his space. They never fight it out, Isis just runs away. They're both very social.

When one of the other females is just minding her own business, getting a drink or getting a scratch from me, Isis will walk up behind them and meow and swipe at them from behind.

I'm thinking there's a pecking order going on. Gary picks on Isis so Isis figures she needs to pick on someone else. She won't go after Gary, she avoids him when he doesn't feel like chasing her. Maybe Isis is annoyed when I'm giving attention to another cat I should be giving to her?

Gary is a big baby, 20 lbs at least and Isis melts like butter in my arms.

I don't see any of this as a problem. I just get a little annoyed at their picking on one another.

I'm just curious about other peoples experience and opinions that have several cats. Thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
Cats do that. Dusty is always chasing Angel(her sister) and bugging the crap outta her.And Drizzit chases and bugs the crap out of Dusty. I think they're moody,or bored, or just wanna play but the other 1 doesn't wanna.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I was wondering if any of your cats ever had kittens, before they were spayed?

I saw a special on the discovery channel once about cats that they had researched cat communities and found that there is a clear pecking order. This was the way things played out:

Starting with the top dog :D

Complete Males
Neutered Males
Complete Females who have had kittens
Complete Females
Spayed Females who have had kittens
Spayed Females

I don't know if this is true (or if I am remembering 100% correctly), but I was just curious is any of your females had ever had kittens (before they were spayed of course).

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
That pecking order doesn't always work -- I've seen several instances in which it's different.

In regards to your cats -- you have 6 of them. They are bound to antagonize each other and play and do what appears to be "bossing each other around"...it's how a multiple cat household works. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had all my girls since they were kittens and none have had any kittens.

I just thought of something interesting, the two that do the most bossing around are the ones that get the most attention from me. The others feel safer in their areas and only come out when everything is quiet. The two bossy ones aren't that skittish.

Thanks for your comments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts