Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
We recently rescued a 2 year old unneutered male from the community. He was abandoned and was being bullied by the stray community cats. This happened 2 weeks ago
He's extremely affecruonate and loves to lay with us and laze. However, he's an also very vocal. He's constantly meowing and at times howling. He eats and drinks well and a vet checkup showed he has no major health issues other than grade 2 heart murmurs.
We have a 7 year old male bengal cat as well but we have made it such that the 2 do not see or interact with each other for now.
We are also using feliways around the house with the thought that he is stressed out and therefore constantly vocalising. It doesn't seem to help much. I've also tried those treats with l theanine but they don't really work.
Another weird thing is that he doesn't like to play. No feather toys or even a scratching post. He only interacts with a feeding puzzle toy.
Do you guys think that there might be something that is making him upset? Or is he just one of those talkative ones? Or will neutering him tone down his vocalising?

·
Registered
564 Posts
His not wanting to play is understandable if he has been a stray. No one ever played with him with toys, so he doesn't know what that is all about. He may learn in time, though, if you continue to tempt him gently.

As for being so vocal......it is really not predictable if he will stop that or not. It might just be because he is in a new place and he will stop in time.
Unfortunately there is the chance that he is simply a very vocal cat and he won't stop. I have known of cats who meow all the time no matter what. Personally I wouldn't be able to stand that, as I have a quiet home. You might want to think about it, whether or not you can tolerate his noise if he doesn't let up, because if you don't think you can it would be better to rehome him now than later.

Just my opinion....I doubt that neutering him will change that. But do it anyway, because you never know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have dealt with this with several cats. It will continue until he is neutered. As soon as my boys were neutered the vocalizing calmed down and they were much happier. Also let me ask is he a Bombay or Burmese?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have dealt with this with several cats. It will continue until he is neutered. As soon as my boys were neutered the vocalizing calmed down and they were much happier. Also let me ask is he a Bombay or Burmese?
Just a word of caution.............I don't doubt Sashi's experience for one minute. BI have known a few neutered male cats who were excessively vocal, and therefore would caution against assuming that neutering will fix the problem for all cats. Neutering is the right thing to do in any case, and if it takes care of the problem...great! But it may not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
! Thanks for your response. I have no idea if he is a Bombay or Burmese. I've attached his picture. Let me know what you think!
Cat Felidae Carnivore Small to medium-sized cats Whiskers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a word of caution.............I don't doubt Sashi's experience for one minute. BI have known a few neutered male cats who were excessively vocal, and therefore would caution against assuming that neutering will fix the problem for all cats. Neutering is the right thing to do in any case, and if it takes care of the problem...great! But it may not.
I will be getting him neutered if the vet gives him the go ahead. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
What a beautiful kitty! I too have a black male and he is extremely vocal! Neutering didn’t really help with overall vocalization!

·
Registered
564 Posts
! Thanks for your response. I have no idea if he is a Bombay or Burmese. I've attached his picture. Let me know what you think!
View attachment 132034 View attachment 132034
Definitely not a Burmese.
As for Bombay, I doubt it very much because Bombay cats are somewhat rare and very expensive as a breed, and are very unlikely to be out there on the street. He doesn't really have the Bombay or Burmese look either. They are both solid-color cats, and the Burmese has a very round sort of head.
He looks like a beautiful mixed breed regular cat, to me. Those little bits of orangey-brown fur would not be found in those purebreds. I have not seen that on a black cat like him....to me it is quite unusual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks, everyone for your suggestions.
It's been about 20 days since we rescued him and his vocalization has gone down quite a bit.
he doesn't yowl anymore but still talks a lot which is fine by us.
every time he vocalizes, he wants attention. to be pet, to be carried, to go sleep with him etc

he's going for his neutering tomorrow so i would appreciate your prayers since he's got grade 2 heart murmurs

·
Registered
564 Posts
You got it. Best of good wishes for your lovely cat. Let us know when he is home safely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts