Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days back I posted about switching from fancy feast to wellness to help me solve a diareaha issue with one of my cats. I was successful with solving the issue but the problem is I could only get them to like one flavor. I tried them all except for the ones with fish.
I know this will be a problem later on because eventually they will say no to that flavor if that's all I give them. So I went on a quality grain free food hunt and have been experimenting different brands. Again only beef, chicken, turkey, duck flavors. I have great success with earthborn holistic chicken. Mild success with Go!, and merrick has been somewhat lukewarm. But now I have diareaha again. Is this just because they are trying new brands and their bodies will eventually adjust or should I stop totally with these?
Wellness works, but again only one flavor is eaten and I know the importance of rotating different foods.
Any thoughts?:?:

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Any changeover to a new or different food whether from one brand or type to another should always be done very gradually, a teaspoon at a time or over the course of a week to avoid digestive upsets. A teaspoon of pure canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling with sugar, works to firm up any diarrhea or help with constipation.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Agreed with the person above. When I first got my cat I switched my cat to Wellness from the food he was eating at his foster home, and he got diarrhea because the change wasn't gradual enough.

Typically you could start with 100% old food on the first day, then 75% old/25% new the next day, then 50/50, then 25/75, then all new food.

Also, add some water to their food to prevent dehydration, as cats lose a lot of water when they have diarrhea.

Good luck, and I'm happy to see you switch to a higher quality food :D I think you'll notice a lot of benefits in the long run

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I knew you had to switch gradually from wet to dry but I didn't know that was true with trying different brands of wet. Funny thing is, I switched straight from fancy feast to wellness and in two days I had firm stools. But the moment I brought other brands into the mix was when the diarrhea came back and worse than ever.
I felt fine about feeding the fancy feast before, I fed mostly the grain free ones. It was what I could afford with three cats all eating wet and in fact, two of my babies were doing really well on it. It was my Persian that just couldn't shake the loose stools. So for the sake of his health I had to make the leap to the more expensive brands.
I'm still trying to figure out how this is all going to work out but I know I've got to try.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I think he might be allergic to something in one of the foods you're rotating. There generally isn't a need to transition wet food.

You may need to go back to Wellness and introduce one food at a time until you find the culprit.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
I think he might be allergic to something in one of the foods you're rotating. There generally isn't a need to transition wet food.

You may need to go back to Wellness and introduce one food at a time until you find the culprit.
Agreed.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If that's the case, then I'm pretty sure it was the earthborn chicken. Which is really awful because that is the one they just devoured in a matter of minutes. Any chance they will build up a tolerance to this so I can put it in their rotation? I just fed them this morning and almost nothing was eaten by all three. Dry food was sooooooo much easier............, sorry, just having a moment.............moving on........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts