Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a spayed female that's about 2 years old. ever since i got her she meows CONSTANTLY. whenever she wants attention, or food, or is just bored, she starts meowing and never stops.
i got a 2nd cat a few months ago, and that has helped a bit, but she still does it lots.
ive tried a squirt gun, but i dont wanna give her the wrong idea like, "you're asking for attention, so now i spray you".
i do my best to give her attention when shes quiet, but as soon as i stop petting her, she starts up again.
can anyone help me?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Gosh that's aweful! It drives me nuts when one of them starts talking all the time non-stop. I recommend first assessing the situation... Does she have enough food? Is she eating enough? Is she using the litter box ok? Could you spare an extra 15 minutes to play with her? If those are taken care of then I would start ignoring her when she's doing it just because. Give her the everyday play time but don't cuddle and pet her every time she cries out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Make sure to set aside play time with her, around 15 minutes a day. Make sure she's getting food and a clean litter regularly.

Other than that, my best advice is to ignore her. Our cat has done the same thing (at 4am) and we used to spray her with water. All that did was make her hide and meow. Once we started ignoring her, she realized it didn't do anything and she started to shut up. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
My cat moews a lot at night too, I have resorted to locking her in the bathroom (with litter box, bed, and toys), but she does meow a lot when she is bored, so I just got her some extra toys, and set up a place for her in the window so she can look out. That may help,k she looks out for hours

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was wondering why in your title you called her "it"?.....

Whenever Misty is naughty in the mornings or late at night, I check to make sure she isn't hungry or thirsty or has to go to the bathroom, and if she still meows, I put her in her carrier with a toy. It usually works and she'll sit and silently play until morning when I let her out.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
H.B., I really don't think Prime meant anything at all by that. She called her cat "her" throughout the post. She probably typed her post in a hurry. I wouldn't have noticed it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just don't like it when people refer to their pets and other animals as "it". They have a gender too yanno! I doubt He/She (no pun intended) really meant anything, it just hit me wrong I guess.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
No offense intended, Brit, but is it our place to correct other people's posts? It worries me, because that sort of answer might cause members, especially new members, to leave a site. This member was not declawing or allowing her cat to have litter after litter of kittens. I do believe that we should, in a kind way, explain why those actions are cruel. But Prime only used the word, "it." I think Prime is exhausted and wrote the post while upset. If I were her English teacher, I would suggest that she use a masculine or feminine pronoun, but not as a fellow member of a cat forum. (I am an English teacher.)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ok, first of all, I did not say it mean at all. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, and trust me, they will. I've had people make replies that would have made me stray away if didn't believe I was in the right.
I'm tired of trying to walk on eggshells here. Everyone else can say whatever they please and not have anyone jump on their backs about it.
"I was wondering why in your title you called her "it"?..... " Was all I said.
You said: "No offense intended, Brit, but is it our place to correct other people's posts?" Well, 1. I was not correcting him. I just said it rubs me wrong when people call animals "it".. and 2. Aren't you correcting me???
I think it would be alot worse if you were to cause members who have been here for quite awhile to leave the site (Read:I'm about ready to..) then a new member who probably only left 1 or 2 posts....
But whatever! If everyone here has a prob with what I say and has to correct me every stinkin' time I speak my mind, then I know where the "x" button is.... :x

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
no member should try and correct another member if they feel they are not acting in a proper way. if this is how you feel please contact me or a moderator. just send a PM.

HelloBeautiful i feel you only had good intentions in asking why "it" was used.

and Jeanie i think you thought the use of "it" was not an issue.

this was a simple misunderstanding. lets leave it at that with no hard feelings. :wink:

·
Banned
410 Posts
To get back to the topic.....
My Sophie is a real whiner. Sometimes it drives me crazy because I have always had quiet cats. She only does it when she wants attention. She does it in the middle of the night--it usually angers me, I yell for her to shut up, then I feel bad. :( She ends up jumping on the bed and practically lays on my head until I pet her. When she is satisfied--she leaves. It has gotten better because I play with her in the evening to wear her out--so she has been good lately. I also think it was because she was new in my home and felt "abandoned" by her old parents. Now she has forgotten about them and seems totally happy. Sometimes if I am on the computer and she wants attention--she drags her feather toy down the stairs and squalls all the way down..... All I hear is MEEOOWWW, thump thump, MEEOOOWW, thump thump. It is so funny! If she doesn't get the attention she wants, she jumps on the computer desk and sits in front of the screen and looks at me. She is such a typical cat--she owns me! :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse at all...

But I wish one of my other forums knew that correcting forum members isn't encouraged. I have one forum where people are literally cruel to those who don't have perfect english and grammar. I hate when they do that, and I always speak out about it. (I also was jolted by "it", but chalked it up to just an occurence - she did refer to her by gender afterwards.) Now I'm done (I'm quite outspoken and assertive, so I hope my stay is longer than I fear here). Also, jeannie, it is okay to discourage an owner from declawing - but there are always exceptions that you have not experienced. Always. So any behavior to run a person off because of declawing would be extreme impinging on someone's freedom in my opinion. Okay, I promise to keep my assertiveness to myself as much as possible on this forum after this post - unless it really means something to me in a big way. You are all nice people, and I am glad to have found this forum. :D

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I don't think any member should be run off by unkind treatment. (Obviously some people are so offensive that the webmaster warns them about it. That has nothing to do with me, however.) I think everyone should be treated with courtesy. I was using declawing and endless litters as examples of behavior that would upset many people.

I remember many teachers warning me that in a true or false test, the words "always" and "never" usually indicate a false answer. Few things in life are either always or never.

p.s. I am seldom accused of not speaking my mind. Being opinionated is not a bad quality, in my opinion. But philosophical argument, in its true sense, is a strong, but respectful presentation of beliefs, with facts, examples and resources used to back-up one's opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
LOL

Yes, it is a weakness of mine. I use always and never to a fault.

I don't think any member should be run off by unkind treatment. (Obviously some people are so offensive that the webmaster warns them about it. That has nothing to do with me, however.) I think everyone should be treated with courtesy. I was using declawing and endless litters as examples of behavior that would upset many people.
Thanks for clarifying that for me, Jeannie, now that I've read over your post with the explanation you provided it makes sense. I appreciate that you are understanding enough of a person to explain and not get angry.

·
Registered
46 Posts
hi
about the original topic please:

WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A CAT WHO WON'T SHUT UP???

i love my boy BJ to peices but he is old and like many old cats, he wanders the house at night meowing loudly (it would scare him if he could hear it but he is both blind and deaf)

i am VERY concerned about this topic because i may have to move soon and the place i want to move to has the owner in the apt under the one i want- he is currently evicting someone due to noise issues
so i need to figure out a way to keep my boy quiet!

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts