Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor Missy cat...
The battle of the food allergies continues. She has recently started shedding like crazy. I don't know if it is the change of weather or that her allergy problem is getting worse.
She has had itchy ears with a black substance in them since I got her. I have treated the problem with ear drops and that seemed to help. I stopped the ear drops after two weeks, per the vet's instructions, and the problem started to come back. I resumed ear drops for a week. SHE HATES THE EAR DROPS and I don't want to traumatize her so I do not use them anymore.
I have tried different foods for the issue, per the vet's recommendation and the recommendations of people on this forum.
First, the vet said to give her Natural Balance LID wet food. I gave her the venison and she liked it but the ear problem came back as soon as she was off the drops.
So someone here suggested maybe it is a yeast infection caused by carbs. So I switched her to low carb foods.
People here have suggested no dry food at all but Missy is very picky about her wet food so I have been supplementing the wet with dry.
I have tried:
EVO kibble - salmon flavor
Wellness CORE kibble - chicken turkey/chicken liver (this is what she is eating now)
For wet food, she tends to get sick of the same thing. She was eating the Wellness CORE salmon/whitefish/herring for a while. Then she got sick of it. She is not as fond of the Wellness CORE turkey/chicken liver wet food (although that is the dry she is eating). She does not like the EVO wet foods. She loves the Weruva foods but they are mostly fish recipes and someone suggested she may have a fish allergy. I am not sure what to do now. Right now, the canned food I have at home for her: Wellness CORE salmon/whitefish/herring (because I bought a case and still have some left); a variety of weruva (mostly containing fish);and a couple of Blue Buffalo grain-free varieties. I picked up something else that she has never tried before and was grain-free but I can't remember the name... I have not given it to her yet.
I know that in order to figure out the allergy issue I should really get her down to one type of food and try that for a few weeks. But she gets sick of the same thing... how do I do that?
Thanks,
Casey

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
What kibble were you feeding her while she as eating the NB LID Venison? For instance, if she has a chicken allergy and you were feeding her the NB LID Venison AND the Wellness core chicken (however little of it she was getting) ...it's going to kick up her allergies.

MowMow is scratching because of the few bits of kibble he steals from the kitten and that's only about 2-4 kernels a day (I have to be more diligent to pick up the bits the kitten drops on the floor when I let him out of his room).

Have you tried different brands of the same flavor? NB LID Venison and Evo Venison for example? I'm sure there are other brands that sell venison, I just don't who they are. That might offer her a limited amount of variety.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ummmm I think it was EVO salmon while she was on the NB LID Venison... but that is a good idea to try to stick to one protein... except the NB LID is high carb so I want to stay away from that...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
took Missy to the vet today. first of all, she weighs 11 lbs now!!! :) so happy for my big girl (who was starving to death when my friend found her)
vet said there is not any inflammation in her ears/just a lot of wax build up. the vet still thinks it might be a chicken allergy so I am taking Missy off the Wellness CORE chicken kibble and bought her some Blue Buffalo grain free salmon kibble. Blue Buffalo canned food - duck, salmon and Weruva varities canned food. Fingers crossed this works!

·
Banned
154 Posts
took Missy to the vet today. first of all, she weighs 11 lbs now!!! :) so happy for my big girl (who was starving to death when my friend found her)
vet said there is not any inflammation in her ears/just a lot of wax build up. the vet still thinks it might be a chicken allergy so I am taking Missy off the Wellness CORE chicken kibble and bought her some Blue Buffalo grain free salmon kibble. Blue Buffalo canned food - duck, salmon and Weruva varities canned food. Fingers crossed this works!
Be careful with Blue Buffalo - most of their food (even the duck and salmon) are not single-source novel proteins. It seems I spend most of my time now reading cans of cat food ... it's amazing how many non-chicken foods have chicken fat, chicken meal, chicken broth...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OH thank you Princessbear! I really prefer to give her Weruva but they don't sell that at Petco and that's where I ended up today...

·
Banned
154 Posts
I feel your pain. It was thought that Mimi has a food allergy, but my vet said the most common allergy is chicken so I took her off chicken and went to Duck. After a few days eating duck, duck and only duck, she turned her nose up (even switching between NB LID Duck and EVO 95% duck). Then I tried her on the venison... same thing. Right now, I've decided that I'm just not going to give her anything with chicken in it... but i will vary the flavors and brands. Right now I've got some Addiction (she loved the buffalo and the venison), Merrick Thanksgiving Dinner, BG Beef, Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon, Solid Gold Tuna... Not sure how she'll feel about the tuna. I'm not entirely convinced she has a food allergy. My vet said that usually when BOTH ears are infected/yeasty, that indicates an allergy. After 7 days on the Zymox drops (without taking her off chicken completely) they got better and when she had her dental extractions they flushed her ears out as well while she was under anesthesia. But she is now back to scratching at only her left ear (the side that her canine was removed)... and even that one looks pretty clean inside.

My biggest problem with Mimi is that she starts off scarfing it down, but once it starts getting "stuck" to the bowl, she stops eating it and then I have to mix it up and loosen it before she'll go back and eat more.

The Weruva is mainly chicken flavors - which is a bummer because she LOVED the Weruva. I don't get the fish because I've read some stuff about the menadion sulfate (I think that's a synthetic form of Vitamin K) and it isn't good for them.

There are so many people on this forum that are very knowledgeable about food allergies. They have helped me alot with all my questions.

Good luck!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you thank you! :) Missy cat tried NB LID duck and venison and got sick of those too! hahah cats are so picky! they label the cans of Weruva that are ms free now!

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Lucy used to eat like that when I had them on canned. She was finicky, she'd eat one kind for a week or so, then she'd not eat, skip meals, and I'd have to bring her to her dish to eat until I'd switch flavors/brands. I threw out alot of food she wasted! Ever since switching to raw, she is always at every meal, and eats everything I give her. I'm not switching their diet up either, I'm actually feeding kind of a bland diet because of allergies. They get the same thing ever meal, every day, and they've not refused any of it, she's right there begging with the others. She loves her rabbit!

In all the reading I had done over the last couple years about allergies, I had read somewhere recently that cats who have been through alot medically, where lots of meds were involved, do better on a low fat diet. I've wondered if the way they were on canned food was more because it irritated their stomachs after a period of time, rather than boredom. I know even on raw chicken, with all the fat left on, they still had some residual itching, and I thought it may be because of upset stomach. Lucy had a fowl breath smell. I put them on a bland diet, and the residual itching is pretty much gone away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts