Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 month old kitten's ears never seem to stop itching, hes been checked for mites by 2 different vets. They always say no ear mites but his ears always have brown stuff in them, its kinda grose, i clean it out alot too. Could this be mites and maybe they're not seeing it? Or something else?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It *could* still be mites, though if you get a good swab you usually see them. Or it could be some other kind of infection. When in doubt, I usually just treat them for mites.

Have they treated her with anything to break up the wax, kill yeast--anything?

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No they cleaned his ears hoping that'd fix it. I remember them saying that theres lots of wax in there and they cleaned it but I don't think they ever put any medicine it them or not. When he goes back next week i'll ask though.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
About half of feline ear problems are the result of a food allergy. He's a little young for this, but could still have some sort of food intolerance that's affecting his skin, particularly the ears. What does he eat?

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eagle pack kitten food. But hes had this problem since we've had him, we had him on iams at first but then switched about 3 weeks ago, his ears haven't gotten any worse or better since we've had him. It looks to me as if his ears just keep getting dirty the next day after I clean them. I think I might get him treated for mites.

·
Registered
611 Posts
When my cat had a constant itch in his ear for months despite cleaning, it turned out to be a yeast infection, but the vet was unable to diagnose it the first couple of times since it was still in the early stages.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maybe i'll suggest that to the vet to lower the visits of them saying "we don't know whats wrong...try this" and then it doesn't work at all....

·
Registered
237 Posts
TAsunder

When your cat had the yeast infection in his/her ear, did it also create a similar brown discharge that a cat has when infested with ear mites? One of my kitties had earmites when we first got her (December) and was treated twice for it. Seven months later, both cats have some brown stuff in their ears that I have to clean out every few days... I'm going to take them back to the vet this weekend, but it'd be nice to know what are other symptoms for yeast in the ear.

UTCandy -- definitely keep us posted about what your vet says... best of luck!

-- Brite

·
Registered
18 Posts
itchy ears

My dog, Harry, had itchy ears a few weeks ago and the vet looked in his ears and saw what looked like a seed or maybe some wax. Harry is a bit of a "WIMP"..bless him, but the vet gave me some solution to pop in his ears for a few days and it all cleared up. He rolles in the grass a lot so I guess thats were he picked something up. :lol:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep it was definitly mites he had in his ears.

·
Registered
611 Posts
brite said:
TAsunder

When your cat had the yeast infection in his/her ear, did it also create a similar brown discharge that a cat has when infested with ear mites? One of my kitties had earmites when we first got her (December) and was treated twice for it. Seven months later, both cats have some brown stuff in their ears that I have to clean out every few days... I'm going to take them back to the vet this weekend, but it'd be nice to know what are other symptoms for yeast in the ear.

UTCandy -- definitely keep us posted about what your vet says... best of luck!

-- Brite
Yes, he regularly got the brown stuff, which is just ear wax. Seems to be clear now, but i'm skeptical. he is still very sensitive when i touch that ear, although it's pretty clear now.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I've read that you can drop a bit of oil in the ear (have to find out an oil that's not damaging to the cat first) to "drown" any mites. If there's no infection it should clear up, but if there's an infection it's better to go to a vet and get the "good stuff". But a drop of non-harming oil could keep any future mites away.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
they just treated it while we were at the vet so hopefully its gone and won't come back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts