Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I awoke to a noise which I at first thought a bird got in through my screen door or was stuck in it. Boy Was I wrong. One of my two cats(brothers) named itchy had gotten a plastic bag wrapped around him and was running throughout the house scared as could be in an attempt to get it off. Finally I was able to get him cornered and was able to get the bag off of him. He was ok and is ok now, isn't scared and it's like nothing happened. His brother(scratchy) who has always been the one of the two to be afraid of anything is now in a state which I have never see him. I picked him up and petted him after the incident to ensure he was OK and he seemed to be fine.

I awoke this morning to see that he had hopped off of my main banister to a window ledge on the wall which is about six feet away 20+ feet off the ground and about six inches wide. I started to advance towards him and he started to hiss, more advancement and he pooped. I just left him alone and went into my room. About 20 minutes later I heard a thud. I'm not sure if he hopped down or if he may have scared himself into passing out(?).

So now that the cat isn't on the ledge it still can not be approached, if you get close to him he starts hissing. If his brother goes near him the same thing happens. His brother got close to him and he got scared and pooped on the rug again.

So other than going out and purchasing mass amounts of spot shot stain remover does anyone have any suggestions?

Two concerns I have.

1.) is he going to get into it with his brother and leave me to come home to a bloody mess tommorow while I'm at work? Would I be wise to leave his brother locked in another room without a litter box and just clean the tile when I get home?

2.) Will the cat get better? I'm assuming that he's frightened about the bag incident last night.

The cats have never been beaten, have never been hit and while the one which is scared right now is somewhat timid usually within 5-10 minutes of someone coming over it's walking on the couch behind them or is no longer threatened by them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well he just now came over to me while I was sitting at my computer desk and started rubbing against me. As soon as I attmped to pet him he hissed and snapped at me. . .

I thought I only had to wear leather gloves when handling baby alligators.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I'm afraid you'll have to get better information than I could give you. A sudden change in personality could be caused by physical of psychological problems. I'm glad to hear there's some improvement. Be especially good to him during this time. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah the cats still scared. I'm giving it time, he's hiding under the bed behind me as I type and I couldn't get this close before without a hiss. I"m hoping that the traumatic experience of the other cat having a plastic bag wrapped around it will clear from its head quickly.

I'd really hate to get rid of one of my cats, but to be honest I don't feel safe around it right now. Luckily this is on ly about 12 hours after this incident happened and in the last 6 tons of progress has been made. If it continues at this pace hopefully it will be back to normal by tommorow.

*crosses fingers*

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's tru feliway? Google returned nothing when searching for it.

I think everything's going to be ok. He hasn't tried to bite me again yet today but has been keeping his distance. If i'm playing with him using a string or something he'll come out, play, then when we're done remember he's upset or something hiss at me growl for a few moments then walk away.

As I was cooking dinner earlier he just sat on the couch and hissed at me. At least it seems he's getting along OK with the other cat now.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I think she meant "Try Feliway." Feliway approximates the hormone that your cat produces when he feels secure and content. You can buy it in plug-in form.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ah thanks for the reply.

The cat has come back to normal. As usual it doesn't like me, but it doesn't attempt to bite me anymore either. Just had to give it time and space.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts