Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's 87 degrees in the house and the cats are sprawled out in the window or on the kitchen floor. Even the stray I'm feeding is sprawled in the yard. I was feeling bad for them. But then I set down a basket of clean laundry, warm from the dryer, and my oldest cat jumps in it, curls up and goes to sleep. He's crazy!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Our domestic cats' ancestor is a wild South African cat Felis lybica, which lives in a hot climate and easily exists in a semi-arid habitat. Cats often seek out very warm temperatures and seem to luxuriate in the higher temps. I had one Persian cat that loved to lie on the lip of the wood stove, up against the spark guard that held him two inches away from the hot metal of the stove. He would lie there and literally bake his fur until it was very warm to the touch and then get up and turn his other, cooler side to the spark guard. I never understood how Vincent could stand to be that hot, but he loved it.

What cats can't take, however, is humidity. When it gets humid, I have eleven little piles for fur plastered on the linoleum floor trying to cool off. On really humid days I will lightly spray the floor with water and they will come over and deliberately lie in the cool of the evaporating water. Most of mine are fond of ice cube Olympics on hot days which I put in their water bowls. They chase the cubes around the bowls with their paws playfully. I sometimes add a little blue food coloring to the cubes so they can see them better to play with them. It seems to help since they only have sweat glands on their lips, around their anus, on their paw pads and inside their ears. They get their paws soaked playing in the water. Every now and then they will get one out of the water and then I have a game of cat hockey on the kitchen floor until it melts away.

·
Registered
415 Posts
It was hot in here yesterday and my cats were lying on top of the running dishwasher in front of a sunny window.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Yeah...my two aren't like that. :p The minute it gets warm (above 80) they start throwing themselves on the ground stretched out like they are roadkill. They avoid the sun spots and prefer the linoleum. My SO calls hot weather "the suffering of Mow" because he just looks miserable all the time. This is my first summer with Book but he seems to with his big brother on this. Too hot! :p

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I think different cat has various tolerance level. My Meatball has very dense coat (3 layers), but she seems to cope with heat and even humidity very well. She seems to be less active and prefer wood floor over carpeted cat tree in hot days, but that's pretty much it.

My Metoo, with her single layered coat, smaller in size and leaner, is quite sensitive to heat. It's merely around 27 degrees in Toronto now and she is already spending a lot of time sleeping on window sill. Last summer during the few very hot days (around 38 degree), she is literally MELTING. I could feel her pain but couldn't stop laughing :lol:

(Photo taken last summer during those hot days)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He didn't stay in the laundry basket long and tonight he is sprawled out on the hardwood floor behind the fan. The other cat, a short-haired, slightly overweight cat is unhappy and cranky.

yingying - I love the picture.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
With the cranky one,LESS interaction might be just the thing,right now.Folk wisdom,when it's HOT,just let 'em be. That goes for Cats,kids,and dogs. Of course make sure he has plenty of water,maybe add some ice. Do you have an AC,I need a new one. Running a fan OUT the window circulates the air,it's amazing how this trick cools things down!

·
Registered
120 Posts
We had two really hot and humid days and the cats hated it. They didn't know what to do with themselves. They keep moving from one place to another. we could tell they were as uncomfortable with the heat as we were. On the third day the temperature had dropped almost 30 degrees and both cats slept all day and night. They only got up to eat and to use the litter box. That was it. I have never seen these cats sleep that long.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I think different cat has various tolerance level. My Meatball has very dense coat (3 layers), but she seems to cope with heat and even humidity very well. She seems to be less active and prefer wood floor over carpeted cat tree in hot days, but that's pretty much it.

My Metoo, with her single layered coat, smaller in size and leaner, is quite sensitive to heat. It's merely around 27 degrees in Toronto now and she is already spending a lot of time sleeping on window sill. Last summer during the few very hot days (around 38 degree), she is literally MELTING. I could feel her pain but couldn't stop laughing :lol:

(Photo taken last summer during those hot days)
Water.....must. have. WATER.....

·
Registered
415 Posts
I went to the store today and after I had been back a while, I realized I hadn't seen Ollie. My bedroom door was closed so I figured he was in there. Went to open the door so he could get out, nope, not in there. So by now I'm thinking oh no, what if he slipped by one of us and got outside? Finally after searching everywhere I went upstairs where it is really hot and we only run the air up there at night when someone is sleeping there. Ollie was sprawled out up in my daughter's room on the hardwood floor, looking annoyed that he had been found. Goofball.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With the cranky one,LESS interaction might be just the thing,right now.Folk wisdom,when it's HOT,just let 'em be. That goes for Cats,kids,and dogs. Of course make sure he has plenty of water,maybe add some ice. Do you have an AC,I need a new one. Running a fan OUT the window circulates the air,it's amazing how this trick cools things down!
The cranky one can be cranky regardless of the weather. He was a one-year-old aggressive stray at a shelter when I adopted him. He's turned out to be a very friendly cat with issues. I'll leave him alone at times but I won't tolerate aggressive behavior. And we have no AC. But it is usually not too bad as long as we open things up at night and close things during the day. Right now it is 79 and both cats are sleeping in warm laundry baskets.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Awww... Poor Metoo. My Siamese, Tut, did not tolerate hot weather. He also loved water and would lie across one of the large dog bowls full of water with his belly in the water cooling off. I finally bought him one of those kiddy wading pools, only two feet in circumference and he used to lie in the pool on hot days. I only put about an inch of water in it and absorbent rungs around the outside to soak up the excess water when he got out. None of the other cats would lie down in the water, but three would go in and wet their feet and one would sit down on his rump and lash his tail in the water. Several others would bat at the water from a safe area outside the pool and if I put ping pong balls in it, they would try and reach them to bat them around.
Funny cats.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts