Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to use it for Princess to be able to join us in the living room without Prince pestering her, and for short-term fostering, and as a hospital room for strays in need of daily treatment. I got it for a very good price and it's really big. I'm very excited.

I'll build a shelf and wrap it in fake lambswool for winter.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Get her used to it first before you move it in the livingroom by feeding her meals in it and treats. This will make it more attractive for her to go in it voluntarily and she will come to regard it as a special place. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, but I didn't post them because the only kind they sell in my country is the dog-training one, imported from only one manufacturer in the US, called Midwest Homes, and this manufacturer doesn't have a photo of this older model in their website. I can post a link to the local stores that sell it, but just imagine the same cages you see on Midwest Homes for dogs, only without the bells and whistles and the black PVC coating. I found it dirt cheap for $107, I thought it'd cost me a lot more.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
to make a shelf, get a board 10-12 inches wide, cut it about an inch shorter than the inside width of the cage, install four screw hooks, 2 on each end close to the sides. all hooks pointing the same direction, it now can hang by the hookes on the horizontial bars(wires) on the cage sides(looking at your cage several differant positions are available) you can add wire ties or twist ties around the hook/bar conection to keep it from bouncing or rattling when the cat gets on or off.. sew a cover like a sleeve or tube so it can be slid off for cleaning, velcro may also work..

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where do they sell boards?

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I can post a drawing of this on wednesday if that will help.. its sort of an improved design of one I made for my cage a few years back..

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hey that's a great idea for Princess! It'll help her gain confidence and feel calmer. I'm so sorry I didn't think to suggest this for you when you were talking about a solution for them integrating.

Yes, I had great success with the dog kennel that you have. I got the 48" one and put a litterbox and cat crate with bed in it. I have her in the kennel overnight (for litterbox re-training) and also to eat.

Since cats are territorial, giving her a place she can call her own will definitely give her piece of mind and she can relax instead of being on guard for Prince. For example, Miu feel totally comfy in there. If she hasn't pooed and I go in to clean up, she doesn't door dash but sits in her bed calmly. Also, during meals, she doesn't have to worry about Jack snatching her food cuz he's a fast eater.

Oh, you can buy measure the dimensions you need, then head over to the hardware store to get a wooden board. Some of them will cut it to your specifications. Then you drill holes in the sides and put in screws (I think you need wood screws). Then you attach it to the cage with butterfly bolts and a metal washer thing for stability. Like this:

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tgh, no need, it's perfectly clear. I'm just not sure where in my country they sell boards, that's what's keeping me right now.

alpaca, thank you very much too! The cage I bought is the same one you have, small world!

I'm getting the cage in a couple hours, can't wait!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I'm going to ask for a board here at work, they must have something they don't use anymore, I see so many lovely shelves around the place...

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I would try to find a board that is real wood(not particle board) If your building has a maintenance person, they might be helpfull

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The cage just arrived. I was mistaken, I bought the size 42". I'm glad I did because it's huge as it is! And it's a lot prettier than I expected. It has all the qualities advertised in the American website, which are not mentioned in the local pet stores websites. It does have the black plastic covering, and I think a dividing panel too. Only problem is I don't know how to unfold it. :(

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
the divider panel can be very usefull, when we were taming tammi cat it allowed us to change the litter and clean most of the cage without handling her(she was unhandlable at that time anyways) it won't fold tight to the cage inside, we had to keep tied(wired) back when not using it..

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've put the divider panel horizontally, so that now the cage has two floors. :)

Prince already inspected the cage and liked it. He can put his whole arm inside through the bars, so Princess will have to be careful not to fall asleep close to the sides or the ceiling. I'll put her bed in the middle of the cage against the back, as the back is against the wall anyway.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
By the way, it's extremely easy to assemble, if the Guiness Book World's Biggest klutz (me) was able to do it in a few minutes. And it doesn't require tools.

I'll have to force her into the cage at first, unfortunately, as she won't come out of the bedroom, or out of the bedroom closet actually.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
To get her used to the cage, I would set it up in your bedroom first and put all her meals and treats in it, leave the door open so she can come and go. When she's comfortable going into it, then set it up in your livingroom. She may feel more comfortable if its on a something, like a card table, rather than on the floor in the beginning.

My hubbie made me a shelf that had two "tabs" on the end of each board the fit in between the wires, so it didn't need to be screwed against the wires and could easily be moved. Measure carefully the width of the cage, the width between the bars, and decide on the width of your shelf, say 8". Cut a template out of light cardboard with the exact dimensions so that it fit in the cage correctly with two "tabs" on each end that will fit between the wires---the tabs should be long enought to rest on wires and you won't need any screw to secure it. I don't know of any store, but if you have a friend that's handy with a saw or a "handyman" cut a 1/2" board to the template of your cardboard. I used a staple gun to secure a plush carpet remnant around the board. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I could actually put the cage on the desk, great idea, thanks!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts