Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I truly love both of my new kittens equally, one is more reserved, laid back, mellow and a bit chubbier because he has a way larger appetite, likes to lie around and whenever I try to play with him and make him chase a toy like kittens usually love doing he doesn't care to chase it he rarely gets tempted to go after a moving string or one of his toys he just stands still and takes the toy and runs off with it and just chews on it by himself and I go over by him and try to play with with that toy but he always wants to play with them by himself. His sibling brother is 10x more energetic it's like he's on 10 cups of coffee whenever he plays and he's outgoing and loves chasing toys and balls for hours, he makes me exhausted from making me throw a ball for him to run after or swinging by toy around for him to catch like he's hunting and he's also a shoulder cat he loves to climb and sit on my shoulder and loves to be carried, the other kitten doesn't like sitting on my shoulder or being carried much. So during the day when they're playing together they play fight like kittens normally do but at night when I have to go to sleep the kitten first kitten I mentioned who's more reserved goes from playing to actual aggression, ears back, hissing, growling, trying to hurt the other kitten and the other kitten jumps on top of my head tired just wanting to sleep while his kitten brother is trying to attack him and gets mad that he's hiding on top of me so he starts biting my foot and scratching me which hurts a bit but I can tolerate it and I would never hit him back, I usually tell him no firmly or yell ouch when he bites me and and just push him to the side gently but when he's in attack mode he just attacks me again so I started to not react or make sounds to his biting even though it hurts a bit and that actually works and gets him to stop biting my feet. Anyway idk what's causing this night time aggression, it's been going on for almost a week now, does anyone have any idea what could be causing this behavior? My brother thinks that the kitten is jealous because I play with his brother more but it's because the other kitten doesn't like playing and I actually pet and socialize with the aggressive kitten vocally more than the other cat and give him slow blinks and he understands and does it back and rubs my nose and sleeps in my lap, I spoil both of them with a lot of food and toys and they have a large nice basement run around and play in and cat trees and several comfy places to sleep and the cat is an angel and loving during the day when he's awake but he goes from playful to growling and into attack mode at night out of nowhere, anyone have any ideas why this might be?

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
You don't mention how old they are, or if they have both been neutered. Males kittens often go thro what I call the "terrible teens" as bullies, from 8mos. to a 1 yr. or more, even if they've been neutered. Night time is often a period of greater activity for some cats. To keep the peace, I suggest you do not let them sleep with you, and put them into separate rooms for the night. There may be some objective howling but if you give them treats or a small meal before their bedtime, things should simmer down. I've had a similar experience with my 2 Devon Rex males, with the younger one.....there is a big difference in age between them, almost 11 yrs. but it was the younger one who was a bully. He eventually stopped most of his bully behavior after he was 2 yrs., but even occasionally still bites his old buddy and when I tell him "no biting" he stops, as he knows he'll get a timeout (maybe 15 mins.) in a bathroom or pet carrier. With the few attacks now, they're otherwise good cats that snuggle and sleep together. All the best for peaceful household!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts