Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My name is Macy, and Jelly Belly, my 8-month-old cat, is in an emergency veterinary hospital dealing with bromethalin poisoning. I want more than anything for him to survive, but the prognosis is grave--as in, even with the best possible treatment, he could die. My boyfriend and I are panicking--this cat is our baby, the sweetest, fluffiest, most playful and curious kitty we know. He loves standing on the edge of the bath to play with the bath water and eating treats. He even tears open the bags to get at them (which is how the poisoning happened. Unbeknownst to us, there was a bag of rat poison in the cabinet where we keep his food.) What can we do? They're giving him steroids and fluids and syringe feeding him, but that's only dealing with the symptoms. I've read some studies where ginkgo biloba temporarily helped rats (but the studies were inconclusive, as the rats were euthanized). I've also read that the majority of the poison collects in the liver and the fat. Is blood transfusion an option? Liposuction? I just don't want this amazing cat to die. He doesn't deserve it.
I'm out of town and my boyfriend took him to the vet two days after ingestion. We had no idea how serious this poison was and completely underestimated its toxicity. For once, I didn't google everything trying to resolve this new situation. Now he's lethargic, anorexic, and one pupil is dilated more than the other. He hasn't had seizures, but that doesn't mean he'll live.
Has anybody dealt with this before? Is there anything I can do to help Jelly Belly? We love him so much. He's in the hospital until at least tomorrow. I'm only twenty and my boyfriend and I are willing to spend all of our savings, and my mom said she'd help with payment.
I joined this forum specifically for this. Please help. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, but it's the only place I seem to be allowed to post.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,185 Posts
Hi Macy and Jelly Belly! Sorry to hear about the trauma with your cat. As soon as you sign off on the rules, reply to or make another post, and the moderators approve it, you'll see the other forums to post on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts