Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Haven't read Jennie, but Paul Gallico's book The Silent Miaow is one of my all-time favorite cat books...!

What is Jennie about?

Fran

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fran said:
Haven't read Jennie, but Paul Gallico's book The Silent Miaow is one of my all-time favorite cat books...!

What is Jennie about?

Fran
A boy who becomes a cat. (kinda)

He meets Jennie and has lots of lovely adventures.
I read it at school when aged 11 and recently purchased a copy and re read it aged 54. Lovely read.
I passed it on to my wife who thoroughly enjoyed it too.

I think it may have been pulblished under a different title in the States, maybe "The Abandoned"

I bought "The Silent Miaow" for my wife 2 Christmases ago.

Mick

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
The book looks to be around $40. Is that right? Seems a little expensive or do usually books cost that much now? Seems interesting to read. :wink:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kitkat said:
The book looks to be around $40. Is that right? Seems a little expensive or do usually books cost that much now? Seems interesting to read. :wink:
I bought a used paperback copy on ebay for around $10/$15 I think.

Mick.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Oh, Mick I'm so glad you like this book. It is so beautiful. When I read it as a kid I couldn't stop crying for about a day afterwards. In a good way.

The sequel, Thomasina, was made into a film with Patrick McGoohan. Loved that too, but haven't seen it in a while.

seashell

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seashell said:
Oh, Mick I'm so glad you like this book. It is so beautiful. When I read it as a kid I couldn't stop crying for about a day afterwards. In a good way.

The sequel, Thomasina, was made into a film with Patrick McGoohan. Loved that too, but haven't seen it in a while.

seashell
Jennie was required reading when I started Secondary Modern in nineteen hundred and Oh My God!!....muttter mutter ............................

Anyroad, I was eleven at the time and found the story very touching.

My wife has read The Snow Goose and recommends that one too.

Mick.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Sounds like a good read. I love to read, and of course anything animal related is even better! But, I'll have to look on eBay if I can't find it cheaper than $40. IMO, that is a little pricey for a book. :wink:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Yes the Snow Goose was lovely as well. This all reminds me of how much I used to love Paul Gallico as a writer. He wrote such a variety of things, including, I believe, The Poseidon Adventure.
I'll have to go off an google him now!

seashell

1 - 9 of 9 Posts