Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I saved this kitten's life, brought her into my home, and am doing my best for her (toys, raw diet, vet care) and how does she repay me? ugh. By biting.

She will come over to me, lay on or beside me, and as soon as I touch her, she bites me. Not hard at first but gradually harder and harder followed by scratching. I do cut her nails but the behavior is bothersome.

Will she outgrow this? Is there anything I can do? I stop touching her and she is fine, like she just doesn't want me to touch her. But I leave her alone all day. I want a relationship, darn it. She does this to my husband and it doesn't bother him. But my hands are more fragile and I don't like this at all.

I am not a real hardcore 'cat' person so I don't know if I can handle this for the next 15-20 years. She is going on five months now and I am hoping it is like a teenage thing.

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
Take a deep breath.

She's at that age. Cali was my biter. Seriously, don't let the innocent face fool you. You need to push her away and ignore her. Yell, so she knows she's hurt you, and some people advise to actually push your hand towards her, because it'll startle her.

Cats, especially playful kittens, HATE being ignored. She'll learn that she has to adjust her behavior.

BUT, and this is important, your hubby will have to stop horseplaying with her with his hands. He should use toys for her to bite, not his hands, or she won't learn.

I understand your frustration, but it does get better.

P.S. "Jerkface" made me laugh, it's one of my favorite expressions (but not for my cats).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh good, I think jerkface is an underused term personally. getting the husband to get on the same page may be the toughest part. Sigh.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
The first bite I would say a loud "OUCH!" and get up and walk away. So kitten learns that all interaction is OVER when they get too rough.

I would also carry around a squirt bottle and whenever hubby starts rough housing with the kitten with his hands you can squirt him in the face.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The first bite I would say a loud "OUCH!" and get up and walk away. So kitten learns that all interaction is OVER when they get too rough.

I would also carry around a squirt bottle and whenever hubby starts rough housing with the kitten with his hands you can squirt him in the face.

HAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!! I need to try this!!

·
Registered
716 Posts
i have a 7 month old who has been getting very mouthy. Whenever he bites i let out an "ow" and i make it sound like a baby kitten scream. (kind of a mix between "ow" and "meow") it really works with him, as soon as i make the noise he stops. of course he immediately bites again, and I scream again. Each time he bites it gets softer and softer. Not sure that this will work for everyone, but now in general his bites are very soft, i call them love bites <3

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Well, don't take it personally.

Miu used to bite me, but it was cuz she was frustrated from being too hungry in the morning. If she bites during play, I do exactly what the others have suggested. Do a 'I'm hurt' mew, immediately withdraw and walk away. Of course, you'll have to get hubby on the same page too as mentioned.

And don't allow hand play. Always use toys. You have to make a clear cut message to Zoe as to what is an acceptable toy and what isn't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts