Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick post, mainly to say thanks to to Jeannie for posting an article about feline asthma back in October. I just found it by doing a search, and I'm off to read all about it now.
Jimmy had a terrible asthma attack yesterday, but he seems to be doing OK now. I'll post more about it when I've done my research and calmed down a bit.

seashell

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, malcolmsmom, he seems absolutley fine today. The trouble is,we don't know what set it off in the first place.
I have now read the link posted by Jeannie - A Winn Foundation health Article On Feline Asthma.
It says that a few cats with asthma are asypmtomatic in between acute and sever bouts of airway constriction. That just about sums up what happened with Jimmy - he's never wheezed or coughed or seemed breathless before, and he's not wheezing or coughing now.
He just had this frightening episode of breathlessness - I was out at the time, but Partner was there and whisked him off to the vet straight away. Partner said Jimmy was in terrible distress. By the time he got to the vet he said Jimmy's mouth had turned blue!
At the vets he was given the following injections: Amoxycare LA, Dexadreson, Dexafort and Dimazon Sol 5% (Lasix). Does anyone know what they are? The Winn Foundation article mentions several suitable drugs but uses generic names, and I think our vets bill shows the brand names used.
Now he has to take Prednisolone tablets for the next few days.
He spent all day at the vets, and when he got home he was very subdued and just wanted to sleep.
But today he is right back to his old self, demanding food and attention and looking very perky.
The vet told us its virtually impossible to predict when and if he will have another attack. But anyway, I'm going to look at some more of Jeannie's links and see if I can pick up any clues.

seashell

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
The only one I know is Lasix. It is used to draw fluid out of a cat's lungs. I guess it was used to reduce the swelling so that Jimmy's airways would be less constricted.

I'm sorry to hear he had such a bad attack. I'm so glad that your partner was home to take him to the vet immediately!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Our cat Pinky had what turned to be an asthma attack a couple months ago. She had a panic attack when she had trouble breathing, and we thought she was having a seizure. In our case, it seems that Lysol fumes caused her lungs to become inflammed. They gave her a shot of Cortizone and some antibiotics. After her antibiotic regimen, she was back to normal. From what I've read, there are lots of potential causes for cat asthma - but maybe you can recall some cleaning product or plant or something else your critter came in contact with. Keep researching and good luck!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Amoxy is an antibiotic (I don't have any idea why it was used) and the other two are steroids to reduce the swelling and stop the immune system attack. Your vet can also prescribe Flovent that you can give at home; this is the pediatric version of a steroid inhaler that appears to work very well for cats.

Some unconventional treatments for asthma include hypoallergenic canned or homemade diet, antioxidants, Standard Process supplements Allerplex and Pneumotrophin (www.standardprocess.com, also available from several places online), and an herb called Yamoa (www.ojibwatea.com). The diet is intended to reduce the overall number of allergens coming in that his immune system has to deal with. Antioxidants help support immune function; also they have anti-inflammatory properties. Flower essences can reduce overall stress (www.spiritessence.com).

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
FYI - Prednisone:
Short term I think it's a great option, but beware of long term prednisone use, it can cause gastrointestinal upsets and possibly other more serious problems. In the event they prescribe more to you the next time you go in..you may want to ask about that.

Our dog developed liver problems from the prednisone. We were advised this was a possibility. She had cancer and it seemed to help her inflammation, pain and appetite for a short period of time. At that time, the alternative (being uncomfortable/pain) was worse.

For an otherwise healthy cat, I'd suggest against any long term. prednisone treatment in the event they suggest it to you.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks for all the tips and info. Especially about the Prednisone. We're taking him back for a progress check on Friday evening - we'll have to be on guard if they suggest more Presnisone (especially since they seem to have given him an antibiotic for no good reason).
However, with the Prednisone they have prescribed him one pill a day for 3 days, then half a pill a day for the next 2 days. So I hope that indicates that they aren't intending him to take it long term.
He's doing fine at the moment. He was a bit sleepy yesterday, but this morning he woke us up by dashing round the bedroom, playing with anything he could find on the floor. And then demanded an early breakfast - very loudly! We mixed his dose of Prednisone in his breakfast and he snaffled it all up without even noticing. :lol:

seashell

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
And then demanded an early breakfast - very loudly!
Tell Jimmy "Hello" from someone else who has to take Prednisone :? I had to smile at the above comment, becasue one of the major side affects of Prednisone (at least in people) in a DRAMATICALLY increased appetite.So if he is extra hungry these couple days........I wouldn't be surprised :) Really, though, Prednisone is a nasty drug...I agree with everyone here. My cats haven't taken it, but I have...... :evil: I am more familiar with how it affects people, and it causes weight gain, liver problems, decreased ability to fight off infections, muscle fatigue, and bone loss. It can also cause Diabetes ( of course these are human symptoms, and when it is taken for long periods of time) Anyway, try to keep him off it if you can. :D

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blimey, Ianthe, that sounds pretty grim for you :(
I'd never have guessed that was what was making Jimmy hungry..very interesting. Hopefully we can get him off it after Friday.

seashell

1 - 10 of 10 Posts