Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
At least somewhere they're sending a message. Our lame laws tell people that it's OK to hurt an animal and we all wish something could be changed about it. Maybe this is a small start.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
"I'm sorry she lost her cat, but I had no control over it," Gray said.

Gray added that he thought the punishment was excessive considering that dogs and cats are natural enemies.

"Cats eat birds and dogs eat cats," he said.

This statement by the dog's owner really angered me. Maybe if he controlled his dog he wouldn't be having these problems. The article stated the dog wasn't living with him when the attack happened. I don't care; his dog, his responsibility! :evil:
I am very happy the judge made that ruling. As Richo said, we can only hope this is a sign of change.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
Richo said:
Our lame laws tell people that it's OK to hurt an animal and we all wish something could be changed about it.
Well, I agree with that, but this is not the right way to go about it. This troubles me. Current tort law practice is destroying our health care system. Awards for pain and suffering and other non-economic awards are through the roof. Money cannot replace a loss.

I would prefer to see better enforcement of and stronger animal control laws, with civil and criminal penalties for violation of same. So that people would be motivated to observe those laws. Not by tying up the courts with civil lawsuits. Such things are tying up our country in knots and have gotten way out of hand.

The problem here is that the lady who lost the cat felt the only way to get justice was through a lawsuit. It shouldn't have to be that way.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
timskitties said:
The problem here is that the lady who lost the cat
felt the only way to get justice was through a lawsuit.
It shouldn't have to be that way.
Interesting perspective. Id havent
looked at it that way.

Im glad for any movement in the right
direction toward discouraging crewl actions to
animals. It is a start. Even if it is not perfect we
can then fine tune it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
While it is great that courts are recognizing the value of pet's lives (I think that is really important), I think this lawsuit is wrong...just another lawsuit for money. The dog should not have been let to roam free by any means. That woman should'nt have been letting her cat roam free either. I want my cats safe, so I keep them inside. I can't trust my dog offleash to come back to me, so I keep him on a leash. Some people need to learn more responsibility, IMO.

I agree that at least this is a start in valuing pet's lives - now we have to trust that it will be fine-tuned. People are not punished enough for being irresponsible pet owners....but frivilous lawsuits are another thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts