Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kitty Juice has acne on her chin. She had this when we adopted her 2 months ago and it wasn't too bad - just a bit of black stuff the vet diagnosed as cat acne, which I scraped gently with a flea comb and it went away after several days.

Now, it's back - with a vengeance. She has the black acne under her chin and up near one side of her lower lip. It is almost like a lump that is comprised of blackheads protruding from beneath her fur. It's definitely worse than it was before.

I have read that plastic water bowls can exacerbate the problem, so I have been washing her water bowl with soap and water since I read that, until I can get out to buy a new metal one. I have also been washing the area since I noticed it was back (about 3 days ago). I plan on calling my vet if it doesn't improve in a few days.

Do you think I ought to call right now?
Do you think I need to actually take her to the vet? I ask simply because she and her brother have been to the vet about 6 times in the 2 months we've had them and I really don't have the money to keep going back now that they are well, especially since she was already diagnosed with acne before so I do know what it is.

(sigh) Just so worried and frustrated. She is fine - sleeps, eats, and plays like a normal little girl.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I called the vet yesterday and was told that I am doing everything that can really be done by washing her chin daily and gently scraping the blackhead debris with a flea comb. Apparently the vet is not concerned at all and she does not need to be seen unless her acne becomes red and oozy.

I'm glad of this. I just feel bad for poor little Juice. It looks like it's itchy/sore and she LOVES when I take care of it. The rubbing/scraping/cleaning seems feel good to her. I just want to see some improvement.

Has anyone tried anything for cat acne that seems to work well? I realize it will probably be recurring, but what works to get rid of it each time? Is what I'm doing enough or have you all tried other things?

·
Registered
293 Posts
My Opie has it too. I switched from plastic to ceremic but it doesn't seem to make a difference in his case. It's just under his chin, thank goodness. I thought he would eventually outgrow it like we all do but he'll be two in April. It's crazy how fast it comes back after you scrub it off, isn't it??? I haven't found any magic potions so far. Maybe someone else has?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I keep reading EVERYWHERE that people have used Stridex pads (for humans) on their cats' chins and that it was their vets who told them to do so. Is this safe? I'd love opinions. I know typically things used for human acne should never be used on cats, but this seems like a recurring exception. Thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts