Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still having trouble getting Justin to eat very much wet food. I'd like him to eat more in his diet since he needs to lose weight.
I've noticed he seems to like wet food with lots of juices in it more, but the only kinds I have found have been low quality. Does anyone know of high grade wet foods that are really juicy?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Petguard and Innova seem to be pretty juicy. My cats like it that way, too, and I've struggled with getting the right ones. They like Felidae, too. But they love homemade the best!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Nutro Natural is the best. It has good ingredients, you can find it at Petsmart of Petco and its fairly priced too. My cats love it b/c of it has so much gravy, try it and see how it goes! Let us know if they like it. :wink:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Eagle Pack is another juicy one. Mine also seem to prefer the juicier cans....Eagle Pack and Innova are two of their favorites.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Is Innova really juicy? Because the cans I feed them look really dry and formed to the shape of the can, but my cats still love it :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
kitkat said:
Is Innova really juicy? Because the cans I feed them look really dry and formed to the shape of the can, but my cats still love it :D
It was the last few times I bought it. This was a few months ago though. Maybe things have changed because of their new manufacturing plant. When is the last time you bought it?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I get the big cans (5 cats!), and it has always been juicier than most. Don't know about the little cans. The big cans are better for the cat, there may be a connection between the small pop-top cans and development of hyperthyroidism.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have tried Nutro Max and neither one of them cared for it very much, Justin not at all. But I guess Nutro Natural may be better?
Justin will eat some of the Felidae and Wellness. I personally like the Felidae because you can get a big can for only $1.25 which is a great deal. As for the other brands, I haven't even seen them in the big cans. I'll have to go look again and see. I know for sure I have never seen Wellness in big cans. :?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
faile said:
the wellness turkey flavor is pretty juicy. no so much the other flavors though.
I noticed that too. I like the turkey flavor because I don't have to shake it vigorously to get it out of the can. Sabby's too impatient for that. He's gotten knocked on the nose with the can once or twice because he gets in there before it comes out of the can.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
opokki said:
kitkat said:
It was the last few times I bought it. This was a few months ago though. Maybe things have changed because of their new manufacturing plant. When is the last time you bought it?
I bought it about a month ago when they just reordered it.

Nutro Max is just like a regular can I believe and Nutro Natural has gravy with meat chunks and they come in a pouch. They have a lot of gravy! :wink:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Couple of things.

Have you tried adding a little warm water to their wet food and mixing it in well to make it more juicey? :)

I'm feeding wysong rabbit as a supplimental food in addition to some dry food, and it's fairly juicey in the big cans.

Another one to try is the Nutro Natural foods in a POUCH. It's chucks of food swimming in gravey if you will.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought some Wellness turkey and some Innova (both regular and lite). Maybe he'll go for one of these.
I tried Nutro Natural pouches and he mostly just licked up the juice and then would eat a little of the meat once he realized he wasn't getting dry at the time. He still ate very little of it.
I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle here, he just doesn't want the wet food, he wants the dry! :( I think I will switch their dry food as soon as the Felidae starts to get low, maybe he likes the Felidae TOO much. Or maybe I can find a dry food that has lower carbs so that I won't feel so bad that he eats mostly dry.
I saw some other wet foods that looked pretty good, but I didn't know much about them other than reading the label. The problem is, I know I don't want by-products, that I want two meat sources for the first two ingredients (at least), but past that, it's hard for me to judge which food is better than the other. Some of the others I saw: California Natural, Precise, Prairie, some others I can't think of. I'll do some more research, but I feel limited because I just am not sure about a lot of things regarding cat nutrition. (Me and everyone else, huh? :) )
Another problem...I would really like to find a wet food that comes in a big can, both for price reasons and because Dr. Jean mentioned the pop-tops may play a factor in hypo (or was it hyper?) thyroidism. The only things that come in big cans that I have found are: Iams (NOT buying this), Science Diet (not buying this either), Nutro Max (they dont like this one very much), Felidae (have fed this, they like it okay) and Innova. So I'm really hoping they like Innova or that I can find another store that sells more of the big cans.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Hi Shlanon,

When Sabby was a young cat he would always turn his nose up at wet food. Since he's gotten older, he's grown to really like it. So maybe Justin will grow out of his dry food phase.

I may have misunderstood Dr. Jean's recommendations. When she said you should buy cat food in the large cans, I assumed she meant the 5.5 oz cans as opposed to the 3 oz cans. I can see the difference between the two. The 5.5 oz cans seem to be regular aluminum and the 3 oz cans have a white coating on the inside. I assumed the white coating was what caused the health problems Dr. Jean mentioned. Please correct me if my assumption was wrong.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anissa, I thought she was referring to anything with a pop top lid (which is both the 3 oz and the 5.5 oz) but I could be wrong.
Justin seems to be liking the Innova pretty well. He ate seconds tonight of it (I only give very small portions of wet since that is all they'll eat). But whoooo, that stuff STINKS! :shock: :D

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I haven't actually seen the study yet, but my impression from the author is that any size pop-top can is possibly a problem. I've seen 15-oz pop top cans, too. However, different size cans are made in different factories, so I couldn't tell you where the correlation is until the data is published. Until then, I'm getting the 15-oz cans that need a can opener!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
162 Posts
Annissa said:
Hi Shlanon,

When Sabby was a young cat he would always turn his nose up at wet food. Since he's gotten older, he's grown to really like it. So maybe Justin will grow out of his dry food phase.

I may have misunderstood Dr. Jean's recommendations. When she said you should buy cat food in the large cans, I assumed she meant the 5.5 oz cans as opposed to the 3 oz cans. I can see the difference between the two. The 5.5 oz cans seem to be regular aluminum and the 3 oz cans have a white coating on the inside. I assumed the white coating was what caused the health problems Dr. Jean mentioned. Please correct me if my assumption was wrong.
Is your cat really crosseyed. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts