Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a real shocking reality check when I tried to put soft paws on Juno, my two year old girl.
I had always known she was on the small side for a cat, however I thought that I may be exaggerating it just because my other cat, Caesar, is SO big.
I put soft paws on Caesar, the medium size, and they fit snuggly, almost too snuggly, I had to cut the base of them a bit because it was too tight. I think I am going to buy the larger size for him next time.
But when I went to put them on Juno, they were WAY too big for her. Her claws are tiny, to a point where even when I fully expose them by pressing lightly on her paw, only the tips are visable (and she's a short-hair cat!)
Her paws are significantly smaller than Caesar's also, and I almost have a hard time finding that "sweet spot" to press between pads, because my finger is bigger than the spot!

Could I have a runt cat? Or even a dwarf cat? (i'm not sure of the terminology so don't flame me for using the wrong words!)
Here is a picture of the two of them, you can obviously see the size difference

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
How much does she weigh?

Cats can range for 6 pounds to 20 pounds depending on gender, age, breed and build.

Males usually are heavier.

Younger cats are leaner and older cats get leaner and in the middle they're hopefully an ideal weight.

Some breeds like the Maine **** can be huge 20+ pounders while cats like the Singapura don't get heavier than about 8 pounds even if they're male.

And then there's just some cats that are on the small side in their body build. Your girl is probably just on the smaller side.

Blacky is about 6 pounds, too, all that fur is deceiving. Blaze in his prime was 15 or so pounds... now he's like... 8 pounds, underweight for his build, but he's 16 years old.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I think the term "dwarf cat" is somehow referring to munchkin cat (the cat breed with short legs). Your Juno possbily can be called something like "miniature sized cat"?

I have a friend with a tiny Ragdoll. Only 4 1/2 pounds at 3 years old. It's surprising because Ragdoll is one of the largest sized breed. But that cat is very cute :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a friend with a tiny Ragdoll. Only 4 1/2 pounds at 3 years old. It's surprising because Ragdoll is one of the largest sized breed. But that cat is very cute :)
My NFC is also abnormally small. The rescued kittens are already bigger than she is and they are a little over a year old! I never really noticed it before because, like you, I blamed it on my two boys being so large. As far as I know, her parents were average sized cats and nutrition wasn't an issue. She does have a congenital defect but it shouldn't have had an affect on her growth. One or two of her siblings was also born blind and deaf, I think. Whatever the reason our cats are so tiny, it's pretty adorable! Juno is no exception! :love2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts