Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Smudge is about three months old now. He is eating Blue Buffalo, but I'm going to change him to Orijen when this bag of food is gone. Also, he is eating quite alot more than what is recommended. Should I cut back or let it go? Do you have a recommendation for a litterbox? I'm thinking about getting one of those that rolls to empty. I'm also open for any advice!! We also have a 2 y.o. Maltese. The two of them seem to get along pretty well.

·
Registered
353 Posts
let him eat as much as he wants. Kittens will eat twice as much as full grown cats. He needs SO much energy to grow and be active.

Is the Blue Buffalo kitten formula or regular? If it's kitten formula, it's still OK for him to be eating a lot extra, but this is even more true if it's the adult kind since that's lower in calories.

I have the rolling box. some people are opposed to it for sanitary reasons, but I don't have any cleanliness or smell issues, my cat uses it regularly, and it's super simple and easy to "scoop"

·
Registered
804 Posts
Kittens eat a lot more than adults... my kittens eat 2-3 times what my adult cats eat. That being said, you may want to switch to canned food if you want to avoid a whole host of medical issues later. If you go to Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health there is a ton of great info on nutrition. I feed my kittens 3-4 times a day, as much as they want. As for a litter box, I just use the regular ones with most of my cats, but I use the bottom of a hooded one (without the hood) for my oldest cat, as she tends to try to stick her butt over the edge when she potties. I've never tried an automated litter box, so I can't really give you any advice on that.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Well, the short answer is dehydration and carbohydrates. Cats have a very low thirst drive and in nature get fluids from their prey, so those that eat dry food are generally subclinically dehydrated all the time. For the carbs, Cats systems are not meant to digest carbohydrates (missing an enzyme, amylase, for one... I'm not sure why else) and dry food is mostly made up of carbs (corn and other grains). Dr. Pierson explains it much better on the site than I do, though, haha. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll check out Dr. Pierson. Started putting water on her food today b/c I noticed she doesn't drink alot......but she sure does pee alot!! Is wet food bad for their teeth as far as tarter, etc.? What about a grain-free kibble with water in it? Sorry to sound so stupid, but I'm really not sure about all this stuff.

·
Registered
804 Posts
My vet said the wet is not bad for their teeth, and dry food is not good for them (I heard/read an analogy somewhere that it's like a person saying they eat crackers to clean their teeth). I guess adding water to kibble would be helpful, but I have also read that kibble contains a lot of bacteria, and I think the water would encourage the bacteria to grow, so I'd be careful with that. No worries; I didn't know about the whole wet vs. dry issue until this summer when I got a new kitten. I have 3 of my 4 cats on wet and am now working on transitioning my fourth kitty. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you feed your kitten just three times a day maybe and not let her/him graze? What brand of canned and how much? I apologize for all the questions, but really appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Not a problem at all :) I feed my kittens (I have 2 now as I got another as a playmate for the first) 3-4 times a day, as much as they want at each sitting, but I don't leave food out all day. I'm afraid of it going bad if it sits too long. I do leave water out all day, just in case, but they really don't drink all that much on canned.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Right now I'm feeding Merrick's Cowboy Cookout, Grammy's Pot Pie, & Turducken to the kittens. Have you tried feeding him larger portions per meal? That might make him want to eat less frequently, though it's definitely not a guarantee! Pretty sure Bear would eat all day if I'd let him...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She only nibbles and then walks away. We have to keep her food up b/c our dog loves it! My hubby said "oh, she just wants to be rubbed while she eats!" Um, sorry, but I can't do that....she needs to learn how to eat without the rubbing! I was thinking maybe if I just mixed in some wet she might eat enough to keep her full for awhile and only need to eat 3-4 times a day! That may be my solution!! Whatcha think?!!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Yea :-/ I have to semi-supervise my two kittens eating or one will eat the other's food... I think trying the mix is a good idea... some cats love the wet and some don't, but hopefully she will think it's awesome.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, Orijen is definitely out.....she won't eat but a couple pieces. I'll let you know how the mixing goes. Thank you for all your help!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have heard that mixing dry and canned isn't advisable as they digest at different rates and can cause issues. After reading the link Minikin provided, I would work on transitioning to a completely wet diet and cut out the dry altogether. I have a dog that loves cat food too, so I bought a cheap door stop and now have the door to the laundry room open only enough for my cat to enter and my dog can't. Her food and litter are now safe from marauders! ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That must be one heavy doorstop!!! I haven't read the link yet, but at the first vet visit they mentioned dry and wet together. It is so confusing!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just tried Smudge on her Blue dry with a little Blue wet and she is in love!! I really could not believe she ate as much as she did so I think a nibble before bed and she will be set till morning! I will leave her on this for a couple months and then probably try to move her to a better food. Thoughts?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Any wet is better than no wet... the thing about vets is that apparently they don't get a lot of education on nutrition in vet school, and what they do get is biased because of being supported by Hill's, Royan Canin, etc, so those that don't choose to keep up with nutritional research are uninformed. That being said, all wet would be best as soon as you can. I'm really glad Smudge liked her new wet food though :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hubby has just about finished the cover for Smudge's litterbox to keep Ollie out! I suggested using it as the bottom of the cat tree....that way her litterbox would be on the bottom and his food on the top!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts