Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long would you say it takes for a cat to get used to it's new surroundings and humans, it's just that I have had Radar, Hawkeye and becky now for two weeks, Becky and Hawkeye have made the house their own they wander round quite freely even when we are in, however Radar is still hiding under the bed all day, sometimes he will come through the livingroom but as soon as one of us stands up he bolts back under the bed, I don't understand this because at night when we go to bed he jumps ontop of the bed and paws at us till we play with him, he will then let us pet him. Can you give me your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
It usually takes Sabby about 12 hours, give or take, to adjust to a new home. I've moved pretty frequently the past 4 years or so, so I've got it down to a science. When I first got him when he was a kitten, I think he adjusted almost immediately. That was a long time ago, though, so my memories may be a little clouded.

I'm sorry I don't have any help for little Radar. I hope he gets a little less bashful soon.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
How old is Radar and where did you get him from?
Cheerio, my second kitty, was 14 weeks old when I adopted her and was WILD. It was easier to tame her (somehow!) because she was sick when I first got her so she didn't really have much choice ;)

It has been more than a month now and I am the only one she will come to. She will play with Andrew but she is not very confident with him as she is with me (might be because I handle her every day in the morning brushing her fur and her teeth). She will spend her time in the perimeter of our room..it is only when it gets dark and quiet that she will come out and explore - so I know she wants to get out some more. Just give Radar some time - play with him, call his name often. He will learn in time.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got Radar from The cats protection League, Becky is his mother and Hawkeye his brother, I really didn't want to split the family up which is why we took all three, they estimated that Becky was around 4 and the boys about 2

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
So it must be a shelter, right?

Some kitties have a shy nature - work with him every day and take it one step at a time. Play with all of the kitties and give them treats when they are all around so that they associate that *togetherness* with happy moments.
ps How nice of you to have adopted the whole family :)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it's a shelter, they have foster families. it was a foster family who were looking after the cats, we are really glad we didn't split the family up we love them all so much, Willow lets them know she rules the roast though, which is funny because she looks like a baby compared to the other 3 :lol:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
woohoo, it has now been 4 weeks since we got our ginger babies and Radar is getting ever more confident he comes out of the bedroom a lot more and today he even jumped up onto the computer desk for attention, I was stroking him with one and and using the other for my mouse but he didn't like that cos I didn't have my full attention on him so he put his head on my mouse had to stop me from using lol I'm so glad

·
Registered
181 Posts
Only took Drizzle and Boo about a day or two to get acustomed and relaxed about the new house. They loved it right off, but they didn't stop looking around and sniffing the new place for a day or so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts