Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She was drinking more for the past few weeks and they took blood today. She had a very high glucose count at 400. She's always been a tiny cat weighing 7-8 pounds. They gave us a special food and we're going back in 3 weeks for another reading. If the dieting doesn't work, any idea what the cost of insulin is? She'll need 2 shots a day. I'm home in almost all of my free time so I can dedicate the time to her. I'm just not sure on the insulin cost.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
First, if the vet didn't send blood out for a fructosamine test, have that done right away, BEFORE you start insulin. Some cats can spike an extremely high blood glucose reading when they are frightened or in pain. If your girl was highly stressed at the vet's or in the car on the way to the vet's, that could account for her high BG. A fructosamine test, however, averages out the BG over the last couple of weeks, so it is a much more accurate diagnostic for diabetes. Just be sure it is run BEFORE you start her on insulin.

Second, read through the following website. It will provide you with vital information about feline diabetes and its management, including the strong likelihood of your girl achieving diabetic remission with the proper diet (canned or homemade food only - NO kibble). The site is written by a veterinarian who specializes in feline diabetes.

YourDiabeticCat.com - Helping and Preventing Feline Diabetes

Laurie

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We're waiting to see if the diet fixes things. She ate JUST before we left and she doesn't do car rides too well. We have another blood drawing in three weeks to see how things went

1 - 4 of 4 Posts