Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my cat (1yr 4months) had kittens about a month ago. Recently she has gotten pretty skinny (not skinny enough to feel ribs or anything) and she eats like there is no tomorrow. She's constanly meowing for food and since we dont want her to be unhealthy we keep giving her wet food. We normally dont give them wetfood, only for a treat. but there is another cat in the house that belongs to my mom and he is used to getting feed wet food twice a day. so he meows to get it. I am thinking that she is just picking up on his bad habbits.

but is it normal for new mothers to loose weight after having babies? And should I be worried

·
Registered
61 Posts
Having kittens and taking care of them is very hard on the mother. Do you feed a high protein dry food? Our vet recommended kitten food for the mother during pregnancy and after birth. If you are really concerned the best thing to do is take her to the vet. Is she on vitamins?
We have one mother cat that we got four years ago with her day old kittens. She had a problem keeping on weight for a couple of weeks but the vet said it was the kittens keeping her down. Provide a place for the mother where she can get away from the kittens for a little while. Keep us posted on how she is doing.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Why did you not get your cat spayed before she could have kittens?

Canned food is a MUST for ALL cats. Read Dr. Jean's article...

http://littlebigcat.com/index.php?actio ... cannedfood

We have a pregnant foster cat and Dr. Jean told me to free-feed high-quality dry food (all-life-stages or kitten food) and give canned food 2-3 times a day. Trust Dr. Jean...she is THE BEST!!!

Abhay

·
Registered
61 Posts
This cat is a stray we found. When we found her she was extremely thin. She went to the vet the day we found her. She weighed 4.2 lbs. The vet said she was over 6 months old because of her teeth but she is the size of a 4-5 month old. She could only get kitten vaccines because of her size. The vet wanted her to gain weight and get healthier before she was put under anesthesia. She also has some neurological problems. She has a head tilt. She looks at the ceiling more than the floor. But there again he wanted her to get stronger before we started testing to see what was wrong. After three weeks we noticed her belly was starting to show. We took her to the vet and he said she was already six weeks along and it was too late to spay her. The best thing for her was to let her have the kittens and then get her spayed. We have 22 other cats and they are ALL spayed and neutered. We would have had her kittens aborted if we could have. And I'm sure we will have a lot of people disagree with that. But we only wanted to do what was right for the cat. She has her own bedroom in our house. She can't jump up or down on anything. Her depth perception is off so all her things are on the floor. She has a futon mattress, a basket and a cube. Plus two litterboxes (one covered and one uncovered) a scratching post and all the toys one little kitten could want. Plus all the love we have. Wet food is very important but should not be the only diet. All cats need a choice. Sometimes they like to crunch.
When the kittens are weaned she will be spayed and at the appropriate time all her kittens will be too.
We are firm believers in spay/neuter!

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
cybeeb-

I think you are doing an awesome and amazing thing by taking in this little girl, and there is no doubt she knows she's loved. To not only care for her when she's pregnant, but also disabled: you are doing a very good deed.

As far as dry vs. canned, and cats having a "choice", that's fine. But cats are like kids and do not make the wisest choices. They'll choose dry food because it's loaded with carbs and artificial flavoring; cats can't grind food, so I can't imagine why they'd want to crunch. You need to try to give her wet food because it is better for her, and will be much better for the babies. Feed her as much as she can eat, no limits, because she's eating for her entire family.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Jitterbug (the new one) gets one can of food twice a day. If she doesn't eat it all it gets tossed and she gets offered fresh canned. We are feeding the dry kitten food on the advice of our vet. All of our cats have dry and canned food everyday. All I can speak of is experience. With doing what we do we have had many cats live to be 17-18 with little or no health problems. Of course with as many cats as we have we have cats with health problems too. One has seizures, one has diabetes, one is completely deaf, one has low immune system with breathing problems. I guess all I can say is we do what we know BUT definitely listen to advice and try new things.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well before everyone complains about me not getting her fixed...

We were planning on getting her fixed as soon as we moved. She had just gone into her 2nd heat when she got out. She litteraly ripped the screen off of our window to get outside. We never let her out. Plus she's a pure bred so we wanted her to have at least 1 litter. Just not this soon and not with some random stray. As soon as her kittens are off feeding we are going to get her fixed.

And I never knew that you had to feed them wetfood all the time. We just feed her regular cat chow because she seems to do fine on it and like it. Today she ate 4 cans of wet food and is still meowing for more. I think she's picking up bad habbits from the other cat because she's begging for food when we are eating, which is something she has never done. And she's just meowing a lot. She has never been very vocal but now she's constantly meowing. She's also getting much closer to us. Like laying in our bed and laying around us. And if we walk by her nesting box she will hope out and climb on the bed. Even if she's in the middle of feeding her babies.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I just wanted to comment that it is an old-wives tale that cats should have a litter before being spayed. In actuality, the risk of reproductive/mammary cancers is greatly reduced if you have the cat spayed *before* her first heat. I know that it is too late now, but I just want to make sure you are aware of this if you get another cat in the future. As you have seen, cats in heat will find a way to get out. Even if they are indoor cats, going through heat makes them very desperate to get outside.

I think the vocalizations are normal for a nursing mom. At the shelter I work at, many of the moms are desperate for attention and really like to 'talk' to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im keeping all the kittens. So they are going to grow up in a great home with lots of love. And I wanted her to have 1 litter becasue I love her so much and wanted to carry on her bloodline. I could never imagine life without my cat and if I could even carry on a little peice of her that would make me happy.

·
Registered
628 Posts
If it is Purina Cat Chow you are feeding...please READ THE LABEL!!! Purina has such poor quality food.

Some high-quality foods are...

Natural Balance
Felidae
Innova
California Natural
BLUE
Wellness
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul

Guys, feel free to add any if I forgot them. These foods were just one's I actually remembered :D

Find food with NO BY-PRODUCTS, NO FILLER SUCH AS CORN, AND NO CHEMICAL PERSERVITIVES LIKE BHT & BHT.

Abhay

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
where can I buy food like that? The only pet stores I can think of are petco and I prefer not to shop there. Can you get them at an animal feed store?

When I first got Tish I feed her kitten chow and when she was a year we started on cat chow.

Also what would be a good dry food for a senior cat. He's about 7. My mom is feeding him a senior dry food I think it's purina but it doesnt seem to be helping him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts