Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very shy and timid cat named Boppy Mae. This sweet angel has had the roughest life. She was in the shelter for 3 years before I adopted her at age 5. She’s been with me through a divorce a few moves and now a new relationship. Bryan my boyfriend has gained Boppy’s trust over the last 6 months and when we were at my apt she loved him. We moved in with him at the end of January and she was good for a few weeks then all of a sudden she doesn’t remember him and will growl and hiss anytime he comes near her.

she hides under the bed when he’s home. Has a police officer so his hours are different but when he’s not here she comes downstairs with me. We’ve tried having him sit in the room with her quietly and she will growl the whole time. If I’m home I’ll bring her downstairs not on her accord. She’s terrified of him but I don’t know why!! Please help!

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Did something happen between them? Did he yell at a TV sportscast and cat thought it was at her, or he dropped something heavy on the floor near her? Something that scared her it seems, and now she's afraid of him. My best suggestion is that he takes over the feeding for Boppy Mae. Most cats are friendly to whomever is feeding them. Have him give her some special treats as well, like a little piece of chicken. If she starts coming up to him for treats or food, have him caress her gently and talk softly to her and see if she will tolerate that.. Maybe with patience he can win her over, certainly worth a try. It's possible there's something about his apt. she doesn't like. The scent of a previous cat or dog?. Or even outdoor stray cats. You also might try some calming remedies for her:
5 Best Calming Products for Cats - Mar. 2020 - BestReviews
Bach's Flower Remedies, such as "Rescue Remedy"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello! Thank you for your reply! She started acting weird when my boyfriend stayed home for 3 days with the flu. He was coughing so loud maybe that scared her? That's when she started growling and hissing at him after those days he was home with her alone while I was at work. Funny enough last night he came downstairs with us she didn't run she just sat in the corner and watched him. She finally came over and allowed him to brush her for 20 minutes or so. When we went to go to bed she hissed at him. She's so funny but I want them to get along! He has been feeding her and giving her ham when he sees her. Fingers crossed she responds positively.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts