Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
We had this most amazing relationship with the cutest being on the planet. She and I used to live in a big apartment with a nice view (for a cat), now I moved to a smaller flat to live by myself. The cat also had a friend (a male cat, who gave her a hard time while playing (biting, etc.).
After moving the cat seems to be depressed, tons of sleeping, very little of eating (she even refused wet food, which never happened before)
Soooooo, my question is: What should I do? Should I wait out, get her new tows or a new feline?
Honestly, I'm not sure if I can afford the costs of a new cat (both financially (I'm trying to provide the best of the best for my cat such as Acana for food and Everclean for litter, etc.) and emotionally (I'm not sure if I can provide the same love and care for both cats.)
And are there any toy recommendations for an alone indoor cat?

All the best,

·
Registered
Stanley (aka lanky teenager) Alfie (aka terror of the house) Smudge (aka first of many, RIP)
80 Posts
I think its a good call to hold off getting another cat, with the doubts you've mentioned above. She may just be adjusting, so if has only been a few weeks, give her some time. Maybe try to engage her with her favourite toy, give her some extra cuddles. The 'no eating' thing should be watched, I think. Maybe try a calming diffuser to help her settle in. If her appetite doesn't pick up soon and she starts to drop weight, I would contact your vet. Best of luck!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I like what Stanandalf said. I will add that cats are very territorial and environmentally aware (it’s what makes them so curious). Your cat may be having a hard time being in a new home. It might help to provide a lot of objects that your kitty can get her scent on so that this strange, new place starts to feel more like home. Examples are, cardboard scratchers, an extra litter box placed in another room, cat trees, beds, scratching posts, cushy blankets. If you have anything of hers still packed away, bring it out for her. Whatever you can keep the same is also good. Same food available (even if you add a new one), same schedule, same sleeping arrangements.

And for sure, if she starts losing weight or shows signs of dehydration, talk to your vet.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
You could try some automated toys and /or food puzzles to spark her interest---don't put them out all at once tho.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts