Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm Sara. I'm a college student at UF, and I just took in the two cats I grew up with, Pumpkin and Brownie. They are 12 and 14, respectively, and Brownie takes medicine morning and night because he has megacolon :(.

I love these cats, so when my dad decided he didn't want to take care of them anymore, I couldn't bear to see them go elsewhere (unless it really doesn't work out, but I'm hoping it does).

Anyway, they just moved in Sunday. They are adjusting well -- mostly. They aren't eating their normal amounts yet, but they have been stressed. Pumpkin has been crying at night, which keeps me up because I have to go and calm him before he wakes my roommates. Also, these boys have been best friends since they have lived together (which is 10 years or more), but suddenly Pumpkin can't stand Brownie. If Brownie is within several feet of him, Pumpkin starts hissing and growling. Neither has made a move physically, but this behavior really upsets and bewilders me. I had to bathe them both when they first got here because they pooped in their cages on the ride -- could they smell so different to each other after that? Could that be it? Is it the stress? I just want them to go back to loving each other :(.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not a cat expert, but maybe the stress of the move just has Pumpkin acting a little off? They might just be trying to establish boundaries, so I wouldn't worry too much yet. They probably just need time to adjust.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Welcome!

It sounds like the stress of being moved to a different place. I'm sure in a couple of days they will be fine. I am so glad you have taken them in. It will be better for them and they will adjust faster because you are familiar to them.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
You will love having them with you. My daughter got a cat when she was in college and she thinks it was the best decision she made.

What about a Feliway difuser? The hormones may help calm them as they get used to a different place, schedule and people.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts