Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cat, Maddox will let you pick at his teeth for all he cares. He's always so laid back and relaxed, which is great (!!) don't get me wrong, but I'm kind of worried he may get either over weight or depressed. I have no idea. He's about a year and 4 months, give or take (I wanna say he was born in august/september of 2010) and I figured most cats that age are just full of energy and running around, super crazy! lol

I usually just have his bowl filled once a day, half way if he doesn't eat it all and of course clean water every day. Once or twice a week, I treat him to half a can of whichever wet food (usually Friskies, but sometimes Publix brand because I can't always afford the best but I want him to enjoy it) I have. Half a can in the morning and half at night. I also give him 2-3 of the Friskies party mix treats. Every so often, I'll give him a french fry or two or a bite of my dinner. When I first adopted him into my home, he would always try to eat EVERYTHING I was eating even though he already ate his food. :p Now, he's not so bad, but he loves him some fries!

I've considered starting to cook him his own food but I don't even know where to begin. All I know is he likes burgers, chicken, potatoes and yogurt. Oh, and pretzel combos filled with cheese. He lovvveesss cheese but I don't like to feed him too much on a count of, I'm afraid it might upset his belly.

I've got plenty of toys for him to play with, as well as I try to interact with him as much as possible. I bought a "Gone Fishin" by Hartz toy that he loves to play with but after a couple minutes, he seems to get bored? He usually just ends up laying down and watches me throw around the fish like a crazy person. I swear, I get more out of it than he does!!

I've tried laser pointers, cat nip, battery powered toys, toys with strings, scratch boards, etc. Everything.

Any suggestions?

He also always seems to want to go outside (formally a stray cat and I recently moved, deciding to make him an indoor only cat) so I bought him a harness and leash, but as soon as I put it on him, he just lays down. I made sure it wasn't too tight or too loose... He just doesn't like it. :/

Any tips or ideas or whatever will help. Just know I can't afford to build an outdoor enclosure right now, or any time soon, otherwise I totally would!!

His favorite thing to do. :p

·
Registered
65 Posts
what dry food are you feeding him?

Instead of just feeding him friskies wet food, can you at least mix it 1/2 and 1/2 (1/2 Friskies, and half Wellness etc?)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feed him the Friskies outdoor delights for his dry food. I guess I forgot to mention that. :p I haven't tried mixing it, but I don't see why he wouldn't eat it. He eats anything I give him. Garbage disposal, I tell ya!!

I'm not saying he's over weight yet, I just don't want him to get overweight a few years down the road from being so lazy! Like I said, he always wants to go outside, but when I put on his harness, he won't even leave the house to step outside.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm a grad student, and although I do try and only feed my girlies premium wet (Blue), every once in awhile, this girl needs to pinch her pennies, so I will buy 1/2 blue, and 1/2 whiskas cans that week. (and I mix a bit of both together for each meal-making the premium cans go a bit further, but still ensuring that they're getting some of the good stuff, and only some of the bad stuff).

The right food is so key to your cat's energy levels..the grocery store brands are basically like eating junk food...If I ate nothing but junk food all the time, I'd be pretty blah too :)

your kitty is super cute BTW!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol Yeah, I only work part time at Best Buy so I can't say that my paychecks last very long at all. Especially lately since my truck has been crapping out on me, I've had to dump all my money into that piece of junk. :(

Maddox is the only cat living with me right now but growing up, my mom would feed our cat the same thing and she always had so much energy (not so much now being that she's 21 years old but she's still got a lot of spunk!), no matter what! I just think Maddox is lazy haha. I know most cats sleep about 18 hours a day but jeez! lol. My other cat who stays with my sister is a ball of fury, as well as her kitten she just adopted. :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there! I was wondering if your "big man" has a place he can at least sit up high and look outside, maybe thorough a screen (since your in fla)? My guess would be that he misses the stimulation of the outdoors. For a young guy, it does seem like maybe he should have a bit more energy.

I know outdoor enclosures can be pricey, but are you or your boyfriend handy at all? Maybe you can make some sort of outdoor window perch like this?

How to Build a Window Box For a Cat : How-To : DIY Network

There are other variations too, just google cat window box or veranda.

What about a bird feeder outside a window for him to watch (i always wondered if that keeps them entertained or just frusterates the heck out of them).

Since he's still pretty young, I wouldnt give up on the walking on a harness. I dont think any cat just lets you put it on and go like a dog, but I was just reading a story the other day about a woman who taught her cat to walk on a hardness. It started out just like your experience, but she worked at it slowly and eventually (few months) her cat was walking and exploring right along side her! try googling for tips on it.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would absolutely LOVE to build him a structure like that, except for my home now only has glass doors for windows on the first floor and I don't think I would be able to build something like that for him off of my bedroom window on the second floor. I also would love to be able to at least open my window for him without the worry of him falling out of the window. My screen pushes out VERY easily and I'm half tempted to just seal it shut permanently. :/

If I get a ladder, I can hang bird feeders, no problem. Most of the time he is looking out the window is when he's in my room. We also have huge glass doors in the back of our home that he always watches the ducks and squirrels and such fly by.

As for the harness, I'm going to keep trying. I think he might be able to get the hang of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts