Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have friends who report their cats like to chew--on computer cables, and power cords!

<understatement on>
Wrecking the computer and frying the cat is not desirable.
<understatement off>

Advice please?

·
Registered
317 Posts
:D You are really nervous about the kitties! Pick up cords that are on the ground as much as possible, keep them from getting behind things. Usually a firm NO and a snap and standing up to them works for me. One thing you have to remember is cat ancestors (like lions) work with an alpha. You have to maintain an alpha approach on cats.

Remember for the first few weeks the cats are going to be unsure of their surroundings and may not be as mischievous, but once they start getting comfortable will explore. Establish the boundaries then. Make it apparent that some things are off limits.

Kitties are VERY smart, but also will try your patience. I hope I'm helping.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will post some photos of two areas in my office, and you'll see why I'm nervous.

I won't be around 24X7, and they'll have many chances to get into things, I know.

Right now, I need to get some sleep. You're two (three?) hours earlier than us Midwesterners.

Later,

harv

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm PST and if You are in central time then I am two hours behind. Lol. But you have a good night and yeah the pictures may help us figure out ways to keep the kitties from getting zapped and fried

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
I wouldn't borrow trouble just yet. You don't know what ages you are going to adopt and I don't THINK an adult cat is going to spend tons of time gnawing on cords.

There are bitter sprays you could spray on the cords.... you could shut your office door and keep the out.....

I really wouldn't worry too much until it becomes and issue.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't borrow trouble just yet. You don't know what ages you are going to adopt and I don't THINK an adult cat is going to spend tons of time gnawing on cords.

There are bitter sprays you could spray on the cords.... you could shut your office door and keep them out.....

I really wouldn't worry too much until it becomes an issue.
My background and training tend to make me anticipate problems.
Kittens are delightful, but I'll aim for cats a year old or older. Unless the
unexpected happens. (You know, the whole "love at first sight" thing...)

Bitter sprays would be an easy solution. Which ones work?

I'll post pictures later today.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had seven cats over thirty years in my condo and only one of them, the new four month old, has had any tendency to chew on or play with cables and cords. Even her interest is slight, mainly small loose computer wires. I simply zip tied all the computer wiring into a few bundles. I believe it made all the wires stiff and heavy enough to not be interesting any more. She will now walk around the bundles and ignore them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very encouraging, Robert, and a good tip. See if my photos (soon!)
look like cats might be interested in them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cable tangles -- appealing to cats?

Here are two photos of the cable and cord tangles behind my Mac.
I think the titles explain themselves, but just in case: the left
photo shows the mess on the floor; the right one shows stuff
hanging from a shelf.

I haven't shown the little table with two external drives and
power bricks on them.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping the guys I get will behave like
Robert's have--that is, ignore the cables.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I have had cats most of my life. I have had consistently for 18 years 4 - 6 resident cats at a time plus fosters. I can honestly say, In all that time I have never had an issue beyond the curious kitten, of cats chewing wires. A few well placed "ahh ahh ahhts" and a redirect taught the kittens no wires. Now Puppies chewing on the other had... OMG the last 2 I have had...they were chewers.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Ahh Mac. I turned about 6 years ago and I'll never go back to PC. I've developed a deep loathing for all things Microsoft.

I agree, with all the trouble that Shepherd Book gets into he never chewed cables, even when he started teething.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Teething, chewing, Macs, PCs, Micro$oft.

Ahh Mac. I turned about 6 years ago and I'll never go back to PC. I've developed a deep loathing for all things Microsoft.
Don't get me started on Microsoft. They're one of the main reasons I switched.

I agree, with all the trouble that Shepherd Book gets into he never chewed cables, even when he started teething.
As the saying goes, "From your mouth to God's ear." :smile:

Time for brekkies!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I've had the same problem with Miu. She's destroyed a couple of wires in the house, but she only seems to do it most often just before mealtimes when she's zooming around the house to indirectly tell me it's time to feed her.

The only way to stop her is to follow her around and reprimand on the spot. She knows she's not supposed to, so she whines in protest but will stop. Just bothers me that she needs constant supervision during these times. Sometimes I need to close the doors too.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yoshi is a chewer. He's gotten better as he's gotten older (he'll be 1 year on 1/22).

I tried the Bitter Yuck spray on cords and it did work at first, but had to be re-applied daily. Then, after several days, he seemed to like it?? He would chew on things that I had just sprayed. So that was a waste for me, but maybe other sprays (like the bitter apple stuff) works?

Also, he chewed through some cables in our office (ruined a set of nice computer speakers w/ subwoofer). After that, we organized the cables that were dangling under the desk and put zip ties on them, so they were grouped together. He hasn't done any damage since, and that was months ago.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My wife's cat is a neurotic chewer. Split Loom Tubing from Amazon saved our electronics and our kitty. It is about $10 for 100 feet from Amazon. Great deal for peace of mind. All of our electronics are protected now, as is our kitty.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts