Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I see this discussed in another forum but I'll introduce it this section, since that's my main reason for joining. I'm considering getting a cat but would want to keep in indoors - coyotes, cars, and the high number of baby birds, and bunnies my two other cats killed, which isn't right Q: I suppose if you never let them outdoors they'll be afraid of it - or maybe I'll leash train? My husband did that successfully with one of his cats.... thx!

·
Super Moderator
26,658 Posts
You can read the other threads and see all the differing (sometimes strong) opinions. It's a personal choice.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I used to have in/out cats, but over the years have gone to in only. It's requires a little more effort initially to provide the enrichment they need, but IMHO well worth the effort. I no longer worry about communicable diseases or for attacks. According to the studies by doing this one thing I've also probably doubled their lifespan. Well worth it to me. It is an individual choice though and sometimes difficult to make. Leash traing is a great thing. Have fun!

·
Registered
17 Posts
My cats have always been indoor cats but that has never stopped them from being curious about what is out those windows and once they get out there it's as if they bolt for the doors every time they open. Luckily I have always been able to find them very quickly after they have escaped. I also always lived in the city so they never really got to get very far without running into a fence of some sort. I have recently moved to the country and I have a 9 month old kitten who thinks its more then fun to bolt out the door and run into the wide open field that then goes into a forest. He usually gets distracted and runs under the shed but I'm always scared I'm not going to notice him get out. In someways its good to have an outdoor cat at least you know they know there way home. With indoor cats I never know what would happen if they got away and I dont really want to find out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have two indoor kitties and one of them is petrified to go outside. The other tries to get out every chance he gets! There is no fear of the outdoors in him.

I'm personally torn on the subject because I want to keep my cats safe and healthy since I live on a busy road. My parents have had a few cats not come home and they live in a wooded area. The dangers of the real world are out there, but then again, I sometimes feel as if I'm depriving my cat of some of his natural tendencies by not letting him outside.

I wish you luck in keeping your cats indoors! Especially if you have one like mine that tends to bolt out the second the door is open. Luckily for me, my apartment has a foyer so he never gets far. He never took well to leashes either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do not agree with keeping cats in doors. They are smaller more domestic versions of lions and large cats. It is more natural for them to be outside and can allow them to express normal behaviour :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Our three cats are all indoor cats. We live in a rural area and have seen both coyote and feral dogs in the yard. We put in a kitty door to the garage though, so they can hang out in there too when they want.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It is a personal choice but I believe statistically, indoor cats live much longer. My cats used to be indoor/outdoor but after one too many traumatic incidents they became indoor-only, and they are fine with it. We have a big picture window they can look out of and a screened-in porch for summertime excursions. Don't anthropomorphise your cat, he or she is not pining for the great outdoors and longing to be "free"! Naturally they are curious about "outside" but you know what they sat--curiosity killed the cat. It's never killed a cat to be kept safely indoors but the reverse is not true, IMO.

·
Super Moderator
26,658 Posts
As you can see, these threads turn into everyone posting their personal opinion, and that's really what it comes down to. There's no right or wrong (unless you live in a dangerous area).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.