Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

Just a bit of a nosey question, really!!! :oops:

Have been reading a lot of the postings on the forum and it has struck me how many of you keep your cats indoors.

All the cats I have ever owned have always had a catflap so have been able to come and go as they please. I have never considered keeping my cats indoors only and I'm curious as to why a lot of members prefer to keep their cats inside.

Is it due to worry about them getting run over or are there other reasons?

Kate

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The answer is simple to me. The outdoor world isn't safe and therefor my cats aren't allowed to run around as they wish outside. I alwas keep them in a leash outside.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I live in an apartment with a main secutirty door so if Cleveland went out he's have to stay out until I got home. I'm also terrified he's get knocked down. He's been indoor since the day he was born and seems perfectly happy

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I too bring my babies out on a leash - our neighbour has a dog that would break down the fence to get at the cats so they haven't gone out too much and now we have moved to an apartment - they don't have a choice - we still go for walks though.

G

·
0 Posts
My cats don't live outside either, although when I got each one, they had been outdoors (stray or feral). It's just not safe for animals to roam free. I think of my pets as children. I'd never let my children roam around without me, so I won't let my pets. Besides, I love having my babies in the house with me.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I keep Assumpta indoors mainly because we have a very high predator population (bears, coyotes, fisher cats, you name it...outdoor cats are very endangered here), plus the new idiot neighbors tend to do 40 MPH down our one-lane dirt road...I didn't worry so much about traffic until I saw how fast and unsafly these people drive. :evil:

Other than that, I don't want Assumpta (who is very territorial) getting in catfights or contracting infectious disease (FIV, FeLV) from other cats (there are a lot of wandering barn cats and strays around who get little to no vet care). She is far safer indoors, and despite a long stretch as an abandoned kitty, has almost zero interest in going outside (unless I'm outside on the deck, when she'll stand at the glass door and cry until I come back in). :roll:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I do allow some of my cats outside in our fenced yard if I'm there to watch them! They like to play in the garden and I've never had a problem-but if they wheren't staying in my yard that would be the end of thier outdoor time! For the reasons already mentioned, plus I don't like cleaning up after other peoples pets when they go in my yard, so why should my neighbors have to pick up after mine? Growing up the cats where always outside, and we had one cat someone kicked in the head so hard it ruptured the eye, and we ended up with a huge emergancy vet bill to have the eye removed, and that poor cat was never the same after that, never again would I risk that happening to my cats. When I have a place of my own, I intend to fence in the back yard, and "cat proof" my back yard with a cat fence at the top and cement the bottom of the fence in to keep the cats in my yard yet still allow them to go outside and enjoy the nice weather.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I keep Kirby indoors because in the past I had two female cats which had a catflap and could go wherever they wanted, and this resulted in both getting pregnant, of the neighboor actaully stealing one of them at one point, and because my family and myslef hardly ever got to see them at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I definately hadn't given thought to the predator problem encountered by some of you nor that neighbours could be so wicked as to shoot a pet :(

Thanks again

Kate x

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
With two cats that I paid $1,200 USD for, there's no chance I'm letting them out. Not only will they get run over, but they also risk getting stolen.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have a pure bred......with a pure bred price. Not to mention I'd be worried sick they'd get hit, sick or lost. 8O

This is just me and not judging outside cat owners, but I believe that if you are going to have an animal then it deserves to be protected and comfortable within your home. I don't understand the "out door dog" either. :wink:
Our animals are treated better then most kids in this world.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I also have pure bred cats. However, I'm sure we'd still keep our cats indoors. We love them, not their papers. What happens is that we become more aware of the dangers outside, and the additional danger of a pure bred cat being stolen.

I learned the hard way. I paid a fortune in vet bills on abscesses, one amputated tail, and the loss of a cat who was very special to me--killed by a car two feet from our mailbox. The average lifespan of an outdoor cat is about 2-5 years, depending on whether the cat is neutered and has no genetic or chronic illnesses. An indoor cat under the same circumstances can live over 20 years. Obviously, there are exceptions. However, why take that chance? It's devastating to lose a much loved cat, but even more so when you know it was partially your own fault. :(

·
Registered
600 Posts
A kitten comes running "hi, hello, how are you, purr-purr" from accross the street almost everytime I walk by; and this is a busy intersection, one of this days is going to get run over..the people where he lives at have another cat and a dog with puppies, all of them roaming around the front yard or sitting on the kerb :evil:
I let my cat go out once in a while but I watch her..since I'm home most of the day it isn't hard to do and if I'm out she's in

·
Registered
368 Posts
Its a bylaw where I live that cats can't run free - they can be trapped and taken to a shelter of they are, and I've heard the horro stories about cats getting killed/forgotten about in traps - not to mention I may not find them in time in the shelters... I'd rather know my kitties are happy, healthy, and much safer. Neither Jazz nor Otis have ever been outside without their carrier, and I really don't think they've suffered any for it....

·
Registered
600 Posts
I wish it would be the same here..the bylaw, I mean, free-roaming cats are the norm here..and shelters here are looked up to, what's feared is the pound...There are no regulations in the municipal code about stray/ferals cats :( until there's a rabies scare someplace, then any living thing gets taken to the pound..unless it carries an ID wich many don't, flea collar and thanks..aargh :evil:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with keeping cats indoors also. I have pure bred babies as well.
And i also have an area in the house for kitty grass if they need to feel the grass under there feet.
We have a large home that is dedicated to are animals with scratch posts and towers that we become pro's at making we also have a very large cat run all around the ledge of the ceiling they just love looking down on us.LOL
We also have parrots and they all seem to get along well, the parrots drive the cats crazy when they think its one of us calling them to dinner and its the birds. i have several pictures of them lying underneath there pedestals just basking in the sun in the windows it is very funny to see them interact, because the parrots steal the cat toys and hide them in there cages..
Sinbad is the worst for this..
but the outdoors the cats never see,

·
Registered
99 Posts
I used to let my cats go in and out when ever they wanted but then my cats would not come home!! We dont no why we still dont no why it could have be any thing so now where I live people just let their dogs run around like that is the cool thing to do so I do not want my cat to get killed or any thing like that!!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Yip, safety. That's the reason. Until I have a big enough yard and enough money to build a cat-enclosure outside, they will stay inside.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts