Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that my neighbor is angry because Nikki, one of my indoor/outdoor cats is tearing up her flower pots. Nikki was a stray when I found her and I have tried keeping her inside but she is miserable cooped up in the house. My husband is suggesting that we get rid of Nikki!! Nikki is my oldest cat and has been a good friend of mine since I was in high school (I've known her for about 6 or 7 years.. she was always there waiting on me to come home from school and every morning when I left for school). I don't think I could bear giving Nikki away. She's a very loving cat and requires lots of affection. She is so affectionate that many people find her begging for petting annoying.

I am thinking of buying my neighbor some kind of cat repellent to put on her plants to keep Nikki out of them. What works best and won't harm plants?

- koneko

·
Registered
16 Posts
well ...being someone who loves cats and loves to garden I have to say there isn't really a product out there that works the greatest. There are products out there that you can sprinkle on the ground and the smell repels the cat, but if you have a lot of gardens like I do this is very expencive and needs to be reapplied every few days or after a rain. There are ways that you neighbour could make the use of her beds less desirable for your cat, but this too is time consuming and expensive...for eg. there are motion detictors tat will turn on a watering sprinkler system everytime the detector picks up something...this will deter the cat pretty fast everytime it got a good socking, but again it is expencive and you need a lot of hoses and detectores if she has a lot of gardens, the other wat is placing chicken wire around the plants to make digging impossible for the cat, but this makes it hard for the gardener also to weed and hoe. I have yet to come up with way that works the best and I have been looking for 35 years. I do spray the hose at neighbour cats when I see them in my flower beds, but this isn't too often. I've learned to live with it more or less...hope you neighbour can do the same.

You could train your cat to a harness that way he can still go out side, but won't make an enemy oif your neighbour.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Staying out of plants...

There are also some sprays that you could try that will not be harmful for your plants and may repell your cat. There is something called bitter apple, cayenn spray and something you can get from your Vet. called Varitone spray (this can be expensive but is causes the cat to drool if the area is licked or bitten which can curb the cats appetite to eat things).

You can also try spraying her with a squirt bottle to deter her. If that dosen't work you can just generally spay a garden hose (away from her) to startle her. Some times scar tactics may be an option.

If the plants are in the ground. I know that Lee Valley (in Canada) used to sell a product called Cat Scatt Mats. These are put in the garden around the plants, and if the cats walk arond the plants, they do not like the feel of the product, therefore detering her from the area.

Hope these help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts